• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

QX Hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Imagine this, you are an FO at XJ (mesaba) and have been with the company for 8-9 years and you are still an FO, wow...and they are furloughing.....and wanting 19 % paycuts and work rules slashed......now ask yourself, would you want to go to a company like horizon? I have always looked at Horizon as a place that seemed like a good work environment......and lots of IFR time in the Northwest..lol

Anyways, i am only a three year FO at XJ, and am now 40 seniority numbers away from a furlough with more planes scheduled to leave the company. i am hoping to get a call from there, any word on schedules....days off which base is junior.....that sort of thing....since this is a interview board. Oh did i mention the pay is way better than Mesaba?

Schedules really vary per aircraft. However if you get hired in the next year, quite likely it would be in the 400 or maybe the RJ. If you were to get the RJ it would likely entail a fairly long reserve stint since there are presently no more RJ's on the way. With 13 new 400's scheduled to arrive by the middle of next year a SEA base is most likely and the sooner you get hired obviously the shorter your reserve sit.

days off in the 400 typically between 15 and 17 days in a 5 week bid period. Mostly composed of 4 day trips. The 200 (which I imagine you are unlikely to be assigned) gets the worst of the schedule by far and it seems you can stuck with 13 day off lines for some time. That is hopefully something we can improve through the next contract (we'll see).

Anyhow, good luck.

Thanks DKWID. I plan on relocating with my family from the midwest to SEA if I get the offer. I understand the upgrade time has been lengthy, with the new aircraft arriving soon, will that shorten the process. I plan on staying a while as I have family in the SEA area.

Thanks again...Skeptic

8AF said:
What is a typical line like on the CRJ7 and Q series respectively? Any overnights in YVR or YYC? Are those senior trips? How much flying can I expect while on reserve? Appreciate the info!

To answer your questions...Someone already answered the line question. Pretty standard 4 on 3 off is the best you can hope for. With exceptions of course. The YVR, YYJ and YLW overnights are mostly DH8-200 to my knowledge. The Calgary and Edmonton seems to be mostly -400 though I see the jet there from time to time as well. Depends on the bid I suppose and how many 400's are in the barn. Soon, however this will all change with the additional -400's. I think the -400 will do most of these cities with the exception of YLW. This is my guess and nothing more.
I don't really know if there are "senior" overnights, just depends on what the individual trips and lines look like each bid and where everyone has girlfriends that month.
Flying on reserve...I will have to answer another "it depends". Depends many things out of your control. Depends on the aircraft you fly, where you are based, time of year, phase of moon, etc.

All of this "it is great", "it sucks" is pointless. Truth is, QX, for right now, is a good $$ solid company with bases in cities many like with a VERY SLOW upgrade and it's pilots are entering contract negotiations. There are some things that need changing, there are some people who need to move on. Just depends on where you've come from and where you want to go.
Could all change tomorrow..... but the mtn biking is great.

[start drunk posting] The QOL at QX is good. I've spent some time at another regional and can tell you that the company (QX) is solid, albeit a bit slow sometimes, in moving forward, but perhaps that is why working here is good. I'm not drinking corporate koolaid. I love the pac nw. After the shock of not upgrading in 18 months wore off (took 6 years) the fact that I finally did upgrade has made it that much sweeter. The seniority list needed a much needed bran muffin to get the movement desired....it just took some time. Anyhow, it's a good company (compared to other options out there, especially if you like the pac nw). Our pilot group is top notch, and we do some challenging flying (all airplanes). It's fun. There are skeptics, and there always will be, but take that...and this...with the grain of salt it deserves. Good luck![/end drunk posting]

Hey Q400GearBitch, isn't it a little too late to be drunk posting with that 0500 departure from MFR.
BTW, You missed the midget stripper last week.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back