• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Quiz about our "lovely" media!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just to add a bit to this. I remember many years ago taking an introductory level Journalism class. The first class, first question from the Professor was to the effect of what is the primary purpose of the media. After all kinds of answers about protecting freedom, informing the public and more bs of that type, the Professor told the class to always remember that the first most important purpose of the media, like any other business, is to make money for its stockholders. Enough said for me. That does kind of put things im perspective.

One dollar's worth

kaj837 said:
...the Professor told the class to always remember that the first most important purpose of the media, like any other business, is to make money for its stockholders.

I'm not disagreeing with Avbug. I've certainly criticized the media as being nothing more than dog and pony show.

But kaj837 kinda rounded out the discussion a little.

They sell a product--to make money--and look at what they charge. About a buck.

If you want better information you're gonna have to pay for it. You'll have to buy a magazine subscription or something to that effect.

If you're looking for GREAT aviation/aerospace type reporting there's no alternative to Aviation Week and Space Technology....for about $90/year.

Good luck.

avbug said:
The media exists for one reason, and one reason only. Entertainment. The purpose of the evening news, CNN, BBC World News, Reuters, Time, The New York Times, and Eddie Ganders Greatest Gossip & Gas News & Internet Cafe is entertainment. It's a draw to sell advertising, period.

There are those who have their head on their shoulders, take the media as one big grain of salt and believe little of it, and then there's the vast majority of the population, social lemmings who will feed and follow anything that's crammed down their throat.

The sooner you admit to yourself that the "news" as you know it is without credibility and exists for no other purpose but mind candy to soften you and attract you so you will buy things...the sooner you will see the forest for the trees, and learn that what the news media has to say is unimportant and devoid of meaning. You'll live longer.

You are right avbug. The news is very slanted and biased towards the left (except Fox news). Ask Bernie Goldberg who worked with Dan Rather for 26 years. He wrote a book on just this subject. It was truly amazing the examples that he gives where a media source reported something in an inaccurate manner in an effort to sway readers in believing only their point of view. I am also tired of the mainstream media for interviewing people who they believe are epxerts such as we saw with SWA 1424 and the Nike Gulfstream. They need to stop soliciting the expertise (or lack thereof) of people who dont know what they are talking about and have no experience with the subject material in question. These are the people that have the tendency to second guess what happened and are quick to place blame and needless to say, that is unfair.

mar said:
They sell a product--to make money--and look at what they charge. About a buck.

If you want better information you're gonna have to pay for it. You'll have to buy a magazine subscription or something to that effect.

Good luck.

In a sense I agree with you Mar. But we as citizens should be able to rely on good news reporting. For example, the last incident with Dan Rather (who couldnt help himself and had to report inaccurate facts about W's service record) was just to rustle some feathers. If he were a true professional, he would have done his research first and determined that the information which he was given was false. It's not the first time that he has done this. In Bernie Goldbergs book (about the media), even the late Peter Jennings admitted that the news is slanted towards the left.

It's too bad it has to be that way. But like you said, the driving issue here is whatever story it takes to make a buck.

IF CNN's current evolution continues, then 10 years from now the headlines would read..
"Dantes Inferno in Nigeria as jet deliciously incinerates. No blood, guts or decapitated children caught on film..darn!"

USAtoday is no better in their twists. The day after that FAM shooting in MIA the front page said something to the effect of "Man killed reported as kind and caring by family. Air marshalls used lethal force"

Last edited:
The discerning news consumer

Guitar rocker said:
But we as citizens should be able to rely on good news reporting. For example, the last incident with Dan Rather (who couldnt help himself and had to report inaccurate facts about W's service record) was just to rustle some feathers.

You know what? The mainstream media is as screwed up as the airline industry. They have a lot of problems and one of those problems is Talking Head Syndrome.

THS is when some fat ugly TV producer finds a charming personality to sit in front of the camera and read the words written for them.

I know you don't like Rather but a lot of people do. Be that as it may, the trap Rather fell into (and could happen to any other anchor BTW) is that it's not his job to do research...that's left for fat ugly people *behind* the cameras.

Rather is *only* a personality. Just like Cooper. Just like Jennings, et al.

You don't believe for one minute these guys do any critical work on a story do you? That's why they have that little ear piece stuck in their head, so the fat ugly producer can whisper the next question to them...

...by the way, I read the latest Vanity Fair article by the producer of that Rather piece with the falsified documents. She blew it and deserves to never work in that industry again. I don't care at all for any of her rationalizations.

But I digressed again.

The point I really want to make is this: Gathering your information from the mainstream press is like engaging in water cooler gossip. Everyone does it. It's kind of fun. A good way to pass the time. But if *really* want to know what's going on, you need a good, long time trusted source who'll fill you in over a cup of coffee way back in the warehouse away from the teeming mob.

Good luck.

mar said:
I know you don't like Rather but a lot of people do. Be that as it may, the trap Rather fell into (and could happen to any other anchor BTW) is that it's not his job to do research...that's left for fat ugly people *behind* the cameras.

Rather is *only* a personality. Just like Cooper. Just like Jennings, et al.

Good luck.

You need to spend a few minutes and read some of Bernie Goldbergs book (he worked with Rather for 26 years, he ought to know). Wish I remembered the name of it, but he tells us what Dan Rather is truly like behind the scenes. Unfortunately for Rathers sake, many other people in this book who have worked with Rather and in the industry dont have much good to say about him as a co-worker either. Yah cant believe everything you read, but in this case there is a lot to be said for consistency.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back