Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Quick question about flight schools at PDK...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DieselDragRacer

A couple I know will be based near PDK next month for a weekend and would like a tour or 'introductory' flight over ATL (hell if I know why :laugh:) so my thought is what mom and pop shop flight schools based at PDK might have a CFI who would want to log an hour or so in a single to take them up?

I haven't been there in 3 years so I'm out of the loop....

I say mom and pop because this is a recession and it's the little guy behind the 8-ball who could use some business.

Thanks ahead of time!

A couple I know will be based near PDK next month for a weekend and would like a tour or 'introductory' flight over ATL (hell if I know why :laugh:) so my thought is what mom and pop shop flight schools based at PDK might have a CFI who would want to log an hour or so in a single to take them up?

I say mom and pop because this is a recession and it's the little guy behind the 8-ball who could use some business.

Thanks ahead of time!

Didn't introductory flights go away since the TSA rules came out?

Thanks ahead of time!

DISCLAIMER - : All of these intro rides will cost money. Some think they are doing me (or flight schools) a "favor" by gracing me with an excuse to go fly by means of an intro ride. Pilots/Flight Schools don't need an excuse. They need money. So, with that said, price will be about $250 for an hour...give or take $50. Big range, strange industry. Go figure. You'll see up to $200 less at surrounding fields, but you won't be in the air for more than 10-15 minutes (including taxi!). Also, they also want you as a student. Flight schools are dying (especially) now, so they're desperate to take your money. They'll tell you anything to get you in the door as their student.

American Air Flight Training: Expensive (you only fly with chief pilot), but good airplanes and hyper-qualified CFI (Ask for the new(er) Piper Archer with Air Conditioning. Nice in the summer. Make them use it---costs them money---too bad!).

Aviation Atlanta: Aircraft lackluster, but safe nevertheless and pretty good instructors. Competitively priced.

American Flyers: Not a fan of the instruction.

PDK Flight Academy: No. Just...no. I don't even know if they're still in business.

Quality Aviation: Phenomenal chief pilot (tends to hire good instructors), older airplanes (Beechcraft Sundowner), but well maintained. If you pursue your ratings, I would go here. Slightly higher in price, but you're paying for experience and great maintenance. Dan Emin (chief pilot) is a great guy.

Skybound Aviation:
I haven't heard much about this one (newer), but the aircraft are older and the customers I've talked to seem to be satisfied. Competitively priced. Wild card.

Falcon Aviation: Good airplanes, but I don't know anything about the instructors.

Here are some other ideas:

Bi-Planes over Atlanta: Cool airplanes. Ask for Dave Hirschman. He's a seasoned flight instructor and will show you everything (limited because of the overwhelm-factor) a CFI would on an intro ride anyway. It's more of a sightseeing experience then the others.

Air Atlanta Helicopters:
I hear this is super cool. I'm a fixed-wing pilot, so I'd love to do this some time. They have a good reputation, and...like the Bi-Plane rides, a fun alternative.

I was a student and instructor on the field for 3+ years. I hope this helps. Good luck!

DISCLAIMER - : All of these intro rides will cost money. Some think they are doing me (or flight schools) a "favor" by gracing me with an excuse to go fly by means of an intro ride. Pilots/Flight Schools don't need an excuse. They need money. So, with that said, price will be about $250 for an hour...give or take $50. Big range, strange industry. Go figure. You'll see up to $200 less at surrounding fields, but you won't be in the air for more than 10-15 minutes (including taxi!). Also, they also want you as a student. Flight schools are dying (especially) now, so they're desperate to take your money. They'll tell you anything to get you in the door as their student.

Yes, I know airplane rental and the CFI that flies that plane on said tourist trap flight costs money. ;)

I was only implying these folks want a "3-D" view, so who should I point them towards to be paid to log an hour? :)

That said, your intel is much appreciated and kinda makes me want to have a brewskie on the deck at Downwinds...

Seriously, thanks again for the current intel. :beer:

Latest resources

Back