Quick Glider Rating

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flagshipper

I am a power pilot who has been flying gliders off and on for a few years but no certificate yet because there is no local DE and hard to get consistent dual instruction. Are there any places where you can go and knock a glider rating out in a few days? Everywhere around here seems to be weekend only sort of places. Thanks

Mile High Gliding in Boulder, However if you have done some Glider flying I think you could show up block the time and do it cheaper. Mine was $1800 which includes the DE Fee!

Five-Day Course
An intensive course of thirty flights, normally three in the morning and three more in the afternoon, for five consecutive days. Price is based on an average tow height of 2,500' and average duration of 20 minutes, and includes up to 10 hours Schweizer 2-33 rental, 10 hours flight instruction and 10 hours ground instruction. Extra long or higher performance sailplane flights may incurr a surcharge. Frequently sufficient to take the average individual with no flying experience to the solo stage, or from solo to the practical test for license. Also, often sufficient preparation for an experienced airplane pilot to add a glider rating. $2,100 for one student; not available for two people flying together. (Intended mainly for out-of-town visitors--see accommodation options at "Directions" button. Local students on a budget should consider our "Club membership" frequent customer subscription plan--click "Member Area" flag top right. )

Turf Soaring in PHX.
No package deals, pay by the flight. Should work good for someone with experience. Open Wens.-Sunday. Full time comm. operator. DPE on staff.

www.williamssoaring.com

Rex Mayes, the owner, is a DE, and Kenny Price is a great CFI-G.

Highly recommend. They have a great fleet of high performance ships.

Fly into SMF and drive about an hour north. they have a room on site that you can stay at while you train.

As a glider pilot I would only use turf with T. A. as the DE. I teach there and he's the best.....

Last edited:
I am a power pilot who has been flying gliders off and on for a few years but no certificate yet because there is no local DE and hard to get consistent dual instruction. Are there any places where you can go and knock a glider rating out in a few days? Everywhere around here seems to be weekend only sort of places. Thanks

Sky Sailing in Warner Springs california. Open everyday with multiple instructors and a DE on staff. Great soaring this time of the year as well. Give them a call you can't go wrong.

760 782 0404
www.skysailing.com

I'd try your local site first. The big thing is making sure you have everything and everyone lined up and standing by. It's been my experience that people will try to work with you if you give them enough notice. We used to do transitions in a couple of days. (Ocassionally one VERY long day.)

LS

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back