• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Quick Aviation Math Formulas

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

I remember seeing a site that had a list of various aviation math forumulas but am not able to locate it. Anyone have a link or know of a site like this that you wouldn't mind posting a link for?

Also, anyone know what the formula to compute the following problem is? I can compute it on a E6B but don't remember a formula.

If I have to maintain a climb gradient of 4.5% on takeoff and my ground speed is 119 kts during the climb, what would this compute to in feet per minute?

Things have gotten so automated for me that I am forgetting this stuff and need to get a review.

Thanks in advance to all who reply.

Ground Speed/60 X Climb Gradient = feet per minute

119/60 X 4.5 = 8.92 (move the decimal point) or 892 feet per minute

Last edited:
7777 what does your question have to do with FAR's? Try posting in the correct forum..
Huh? Take a look at the top of the page showing the location of this thread...

If you're looking for threads in the FAR foum, try looking in the correct forum...

Huh? Take a look at the top of the page showing the location of this thread...

If you're looking for threads in the FAR foum, try looking in the correct forum...

midlife, thank you for your keen awareness... the thread is in the correct forum 'now' because I moved it..

Funny. I was the first to answer it and never noticed. So much for "keen awareness." :D

Latest resources

Back