Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mogus

Eh?
I'm 15 and have my heart set on becoming a professional pilot. I've looked into the civilian route and it looks dull. I want to fly some of the more exotic aircraft like the cargo and bomber planes. I guess some of you would rather call them bricks with wings and leave the exotic title to the jet fighters. I would love to be in military service but I have some questions about my chances of getting to fly a more complicated aircraft. I plan on talking with some recruiters so I'd appreciate it if you'd answer these instead of telling me to go ask one.

1. When I was 10, I had surgery in my left eye to correct "cross-eyedness." My left eye is just a bit weaker than my right. I plan on going to the doctor but I'm thinking I have 20/30 and maybe even 20/20 uncorrected. I know it's correctable to 20/20. So the question is, can I fly in the military?

2. I plan on serving a 2 year mission for my church at 19-21 years of age. Can I still enter a certain branch of the military and get a degree in computer science and at the same time fly?

3. My ACT is 34. I haven't taken the SAT yet and my GPA stays around 3.4. Are these good enough?

4. I'm a big person, 6'1" 205 pounds. Is this withing their height-weight requirements?

5. Do I really need to be involved with sports and leadership programs?

6. What is the best branch of the military that would suit me? Remember I'd like to fly the larger aircraft, I don't care about pay as long as I get some good flight time in.

Well, thank-you. I'll probably ask some more questions as time goes on, these are just off the top of my head.

"I know it's correctable to 20/20. So the question is, can I fly in the military?"
I can never keep up with the changing requirements on eyesight, but you’re okay if you are correctable to 20/20. I don’t know if your previous surgery would be a disqualifier, though.

”I plan on serving a 2 year mission for my church at 19-21 years of age. Can I still enter a certain branch of the military and get a degree in computer science and at the same time fly?”
Are you planning on getting your degree after your mission? If so, I don’t see any problem. I don’t know how you would work this out if you were going to take a hiatus from school to go on your mission. If this is the case, ROTC or the Academy obviously wouldn’t be an option, but you could go through OTS or the 2-year ROTC program when you got back.

”My ACT is 34. I haven't taken the SAT yet and my GPA stays around 3.4. Are these good enough?”
Again, not sure if you’re planning for ROTC or the Academy. Your GPA is fine to get in to the Academy, and it doesn’t matter for ROTC. What matters more in either case is maintaining a good GPA through college.

”I'm a big person, 6'1" 205 pounds. Is this within their height-weight requirements?”
Not even close to a problem. I’m 6’2” and 200 pounds.

”Do I really need to be involved with sports and leadership programs”
No, but it helps on the “whole person” concept. Again, what you seem to be worrying about is getting into college, which I don’t think you’ll have a problem with. Being involved with these things in college will help you get a pilot slot the same way they helped you get into college..

”What is the best branch of the military that would suit me? Remember I'd like to fly the larger aircraft.”
My guess would be the Air Force. Plenty of heavies to go around.

AS a mormon I served a 2 year mission and came back and got my degree while I finished my ratings. But I did go the civilian route. I sometimes give thought to military flying and I might just decide to join up before its to late

Air Force Academy

Don't rule out the Air Force Academy because of your intention to go on a mission. I knew many Mormans (sorry if that's not the PC term..) that attended the Academy when I did and they took 2 years off to do it after their 2nd year, then returned and finished the last 2 years after their mission was complete. Obviously, the Academy is not the only option but your grades and test scores are in the ballpark. Extra-curricular activities are a big plus to put on your application and age 15 is a good time to start working in that direction. A recruiter is not the best way to find out about the service academies. Talk to your guidance counseler at your school and find out how to get in touch with the Liaison Officer for your area. They can best answer your questions (That is their function!) Good luck to you!

Latest resources

Back