Questions re Joining ANG

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

gubernator

I am interested in joining the ANG but I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer. I'll be 32 years old this month. No prior military service. I have a bachelor's degree and a law degree. I'm also a CP-ASEL and CFII.

I'd like to join the ANG and do something related to aviation. From the limited research I've done, it looks like I'm too old to be a pilot in the ANG. Are there any other jobs available that would get me inside an aircraft? There's an aerial refueling wing in my state that flies KC-135s. I'm assuming that the KC-135 crew has a navigator and maybe some other non-pilot positions. Does anyone have any info on this?

Also, since I've just started researching this, any other info re basic training, whether to go enlisted or as an officer, etc. would be appreciated. Thanks.

"From the limited research I've done, it looks like I'm too old to be a pilot in the ANG."

Yeah, it does, but I'd still go to the unit and ask face-to-face. The odds aren't in your favor but you never know.

IF there are still any navs in the KC-135 it's in an extremely limited capacity. I know because I left the 135 in 1996 due to the (then) oncoming Pacer Crag program that upgraded the cockpit and eliminated the nav position. I very seriously doubt any 135 unit that's retained a nav or two would be sending a candidate to nav school. If you want to be a nav you might check into a 130 unit, though.

The boom operator on the KC-135 is enlisted. They're a super group of folks and really seem to enjoy their job. One thing about a Guard 135. You will see the world. The 135 is a cross-country machine and with the Guard you're always in a different place for a week or so at a time, if you so desire. The trips are voluntary, don't worry about being dragged forcibly by your collar from your civilian job to spend a week in Pisa Italy at the nude beach.

One HUGE advantage to being in an Air Guard unit. Almost all the part-time pilots fly for a major airline. Uh-oh, I hear flame-throwers being readied!! Anyway, if you're interested in an airline job (notice I didn't say "career!") by the time you've gone through training, done some time with the unit to get seasoned, and gotten a pilot job that will net you turbine time the airlines might just be hiring again. One never knows. Sure, as an enlisted troop you won't make as much money but the connections you make will be invaluable.

Oh, BTW, there are few things more fun than hangin' with the guys, either at the squadron or on the road. The camaraderie is the biggest factor of the Guard being such a great job.

Go ahead and check it out. I wish you the very best of luck!

Last edited:
bssthound:

Thanks for the info. Your post was really helpful. That boom operator position sounds interesting -- I'm going to check that out. I did a little more research and I found out that some of the 130s have a flight engineer position, which I think is also enlisted. That sounded like something I would be interested in, and it's a little closer to the cockpit. It looks as though I'd have to get my FE before I joined, though. Does anyone have any info on where to do that, how much it would cost, etc.? Also, does anyone know how much training is required to be a boom operator or FE? Thanks.

I wouldn't go through the expense of an FE to get on with a Guard Unit. I'm sure some of the other folks here could tell you more about the differences between Civilian & Military FE.

I'm not sure about the exact time for Boomer or FE training but you're looking at a few months or so.

Latest resources

Back