Questions, Questions..........

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I like BBB's answer the best.

This is a total BS question, however. Why are you so low? Is their a driftdown requirement for your operation? <--This is a big one. I'm assuming however that you're decending into mountainous terrain to begin an approach with two engines operating, decending through clouds at night.

Climb above MEA if you can. Maintain VFR if you can. Declare and emergency so you can do whatever you need to do. Follow your driftdown procedures if applicable. Is an MSA applicable? A MOCA?

There's a lot to consider here, but remaining on an airway with altitude gives you the most breathing room.

GuppyWN said:
My stab would be since an airway has a 6nm? width I'm good to go 3 miles either side of center.
Gup

Duuude, dats pretty freaking funny! Your kidding, right, my brother from the SWA mother?

Dat width stuff on dat airway wuz like to account fer stuff like...

errors in like dat equipment sending da signal

errors in like youre equipment dats like recieving da signal

pilot error

So like if you like be seein dat youre like right on centerline and stuff, you may actually be like off course by alot. Dats what the airway width is for, bro. It aint there for you to like be flyin 3 nm off course on purpose bro, because you mights be off be like way more than dat.

Granted, dis stuff like GPS we gots now makes it better than when we were all toolin rounds in old school planes, like dem 737-200s you peeps used fer like dat Texas 2-step thing, but dat deviation thing you were thinkin of seems like a really bad thing bro, especially if you gots all dat high terrain stuff goin on all around you, bro.

If I ain't thinkin too clear, its caus Ive had a few brewpops again, but maybe somma you peeps gots sometin else to add.

radarlove said:
What retard asked this question? You say "major airline", but was it "major" in the way that Comair is major, or was it Continental? I doubt JBLU or LUV are asking 'tarded questions like this in an interview.

I think it is a very good simple question especially if the carrier in question is doing a lot of flying in mountainous territory given how many incidents there are every year of controlled flight into terrain. I am sure the interviewer was looking for exactly the answer that BBB gave which is if I have to get off a published airway or approach I am going to climb to ensure terrain clearance before I do anything as opposed to saying I am going to try VFR scud running through a mountain pass or use the width of the airway to turn around and hope I don’t fly into anything.

I got asked the same question during my Continental interview. I answered it pretty much the same way BBB did.

I will be in class in class in Feb.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back