Questions for World Airways Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Moonshiner

I've read everything available here and on several other sites, been to the interview in Atlanta, and talked to a couple of line pilots but I still have a couple of nagging concerns.

First: The contract. I have been told that the union is ready to strike if the holding company doesn't merge the World and North American lists. I have also been told that the company has no intentention of doing so. If the union caves on the merged list issue, can you adopt stronger scope language to prevent losing flying to North American (I know NAA doesn't fly cargo, but theoretically you could lose future pax flying)? And as an aside, the 2 year training agreement states you owe them money if you "voluntarily" leave World for anything other than failing out of training. Are they diabolical enough to say that in the event of a strike, you are "voluntarily" leaving?

Second: You currently have two MD-11's on the property leased from Delta. You are supposed to get another in November. We were told at the interview that your executives were concerned about the potential to lose these airplanes now that Delta is in Chapt. 11. I realize that World pays their bills on time and that the banks should be happy that they're getting paid, but I have also heard that there is demand for those airplanes by other companies with deep pockets. With the Delta BK, those aircraft are now exposed. Just wondering if anyone out here has further insight into that situation.

Thanks in advance for any responses to these concerns...

The contract. I have been told that the union is ready to strike if the holding company doesn't merge the World and North American lists.
Not correct. We would strike if there was no contract, but merging lists is not on the negotiating table.

And as an aside, the 2 year training agreement states you owe them money if you "voluntarily" leave World for anything other than failing out of training. Are they diabolical enough to say that in the event of a strike, you are "voluntarily" leaving?
No, not even a chance of that happening. I would even hazard a guess and say that the union would want you to continue training.

You currently have two MD-11's on the property leased from Delta. You are supposed to get another in November.
We have three with one or two on the way.

With the Delta BK, those aircraft are now exposed. Just wondering if anyone out here has further insight into that situation.
I heard somewhere that the early Delta MD-11s, the one's World operates could not be converted, which is why FedEx took the later models. Maybe just wishful thinking on my part. Who knows what will happen with those aircraft. We really need them so I hope they don't go away.

I've heard nothing but good rumors on my last couple of trips. You'll regret not coming here. "All is well, remain calm..." Animal House

What stage are you in regarding contract negotiations?

Are we likely to see a repeat of the Polar Air Cargo situation at World in the near future?

Bring that moonshine with you, we'll sneak it into Kuwait in a water bottle.

Are we likely to see a repeat of the Polar Air Cargo situation at World in the near future?
I don't think so. At Atlas, they can just transfer the aircraft and have qualified pilots to fly them. If they transfered our MD-11s to North American, it would be months before they flew again. Besides, we can't strike AMC flights.
It looks like the contract is getting closer. We're hoping for good news next month.

Its a crap shoot!

Its a crap shoot with pretty good odds. I just had a friend to get hired on at World and I made sure to tell all the good, the bad and the ugly. Like it was said we can't strike AMC and I don't think it will get to that. As for the DAL MD-11's no one has a crystal ball so its a crap shoot. This being the 3rd uniform in my closet and I hope its the last, but it is aviation after all. This pilot group is my pleasure to work with and I hope to continue my global beer tour with this great group of professionals. Good Luck with your efforts I hope it works out..............

How far into negotiations are you?

Are the two parties far off on what they want?

Also, when does/did the contract actually become amendable?

thanks!

CCDiscoB said:
Not correct. We would strike if there was no contract, but merging lists is not on the negotiating table.

No, not even a chance of that happening. I would even hazard a guess and say that the union would want you to continue training.

We have three with one or two on the way.

I heard somewhere that the early Delta MD-11s, the one's World operates could not be converted, which is why FedEx took the later models. Maybe just wishful thinking on my part. Who knows what will happen with those aircraft. We really need them so I hope they don't go away.

I've heard nothing but good rumors on my last couple of trips. You'll regret not coming here. "All is well, remain calm..." Animal House

Pretty sure that any former Delta MD11's qualify for a freighter conversion. To my foggy knowledge they were all the same MTOGW and I am aware of even earlier line numbers that have been converted to freighters. So maybe you dodged that bullet at least. Like the old World paint job on one of your former Delta birds. Looks great!

furloughfodder said:
What stage are you in regarding contract negotiations?

Have a few friends over there and they are at the "fedup" stage.

Latest resources

Back