• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Questions for WN pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sounds like reinventing the wheel. What's wrong with block or better? Usually there's a reason for doing something different. I know there is a historical aspect to the TFP but I guess I'm missing where the advantage is for doing it that way now. It's your airline. Do what you want, but it seems convoluted to me.

I fail to see any advantage either, but I don't see a disadvantage either. It is just the way it is.

Whats wrong with block or better? I'm not a southwest guy, in fact I don't really like southwest. But I am tired of captains who want to make a few dollars at the expense of the company using block or better.

The motivation of the employee should always match the company. Example, a salesman who gets commission based on a % of profit.

An airline pilot should be financially motivated to arrive on time.

I can count on one hand the number of Captains I've flown with that intentionally milk block times by taxiing slow or slowing to .70. The overwhelming majority of pilots just do their job and the block times are incidental. That doesn't mean I'm unhappy when I have long taxi times at JFK or LGA. Money is money, but very, very few intentionally work the system just to make a couple of bucks. Usually the down side of pax inconvenience motivates most of us to do the right thing. There are exceptions I'm sure, but most guys/gals I know don't operate like that.

I agree that what's good for the company should also be good for the employee and vice versa. That can be a double edged sword though. What if safety could be compromised by the policy. For example, on time arrival bonuses. Any chance that might influence a crew's decison making? For most people it wouldn't, but for some it might intentionally or unintentionally creep into their consciousness.

I can count on one hand the number of Captains I've flown with that intentionally milk block times by taxiing slow or slowing to .70.

Well, obviously you are not a NWA in the post crap-contract era.
Taxi speeds in DTW have dropped dramaticly.

Turbo

Expeditious Taxi

Pushing back and our expeditious taxi is all about maximizing aircraft in the system and giving our ground guys more time to load and unload bags. We still strive for the 25 minute turn. A number of times when we taxi in, we are pushing ahead of jets from other companies that were there when we landed. If we can push and get ahead of one jet that can save us two minutes, and if there is traffic, more. Doesn't always work, but for those times it does it saves us valuable time that adds to the bottom line. Yup, towing the company line but it works.

We do have published speeds that we follow. I'm not in charge but most of the captains stick to it.

Sounds like reinventing the wheel. What's wrong with block or better? .

Who really gives a crap. I guess we could waste time in negotiations converting from TFP to hourly, and then adjusting rates to match (1TFP = 1.2+ hr) and end up with the exact same thing.

You fly the plane... they pay you. Doesnt matter how its measured.

Latest resources

Back