Questions for the Experts

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flat-tire

1.Does anyone know how to get a Radio Licence for flying outside the US?

2.Does anyone know if you can use the FCC website?

3.Is the US licence valid for foreign employment?

2. answered question 1.

yes, go the fcc website, download, print out, fill out, and mail in the form and the fee, you get your radio certificate in the mail shortly after.

3. depends on which specific country you're talking about.

I went on the website and located several options. Do I need the 605 form and is there not a verbal exam to take or is it just a document to file with the FCC? Have you ever used the online filing service? Also would this cover countries that operate under JAR? Sorry for sounding like an idiot but there are lots of forms and I wanted to select the right one. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
form 605 is all you need...i really think what they are looking for is your money and nothing else. I did use the fcc website and got the license a couple of weeks later.

I filed on the net and paid my $50. Not sure what that accomplished.......... Does anyone know if that covers the UK requirement for working as a Air Transport Pilot on a UK registered aircraft?

UK requirement for working as an Air Transport Pilot on a UK registered aircraft is that you must have a UK (JAA) license.

There is an international agreement that pilots flying internationally should have radio certification. Various countries comply with this in different ways. USA does this simply by accepting the FCC license. Other countries have more comprehensive training and testing requirements. In Europe this is incorporated into the basic pilot licensing and additional radio station licenses are not common.
I think the question is if you can fly on your FAA certificate in the UK - if so the FCC is enough. Generally you must have a UK (JAA) pilot license to fly a UK registered aircraft in the UK and if you have that then you don't need a radio license

Latest resources

Back