• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Questions for the ASA guys

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
whats the average days off/line holder/reserve? callout? Sorry for all the questions, just thinking about jumping ship and want to make sure its worth it. (so far it seems that way)

Thanks again

ERJdca said:
whats the average days off/line holder/reserve? callout? Sorry for all the questions, just thinking about jumping ship and want to make sure its worth it. (so far it seems that way)

Thanks again

Days off on reserve are a minimum of 10. There are many different reserve periods you could be assigned to, but they all have a 2 hour call-out. Reserve at ASA can be pretty bad, depending on your aircraft (I bid reserve on the CR7 this month and have not flown yet, but people on the ATR and CR2 are getting abused).

You would probably be assigned to DFW as a new hire. You could bid for ATL (the more senior base), don't know how long it would take to get there though. The lines for senior pilots sometimes have 15 to 18 days off. The average is probably around 11 to 12. You can chose from lines of four day trips, day lines, three day trips, CDO's or back-to-back two day trips. I don't know how long it takes to hold a line in DFW as a new FO. They are getting a lot of growth out there, so it might not take but 3 to 4 months.

As a 3rd year FO on the CR7 you can make about $42,000 plus per diem ($3,000). The first year pay sucks big-time (expect to make $17,000 plus maybe $2,000 in per diem), but if you can get through the first year, get off of reserve, and if we are able to hold-off the predatory DAL pilots and lower cost portfolio carriers (Chit, ACA, Skywest, TBA), it could be a pretty good place for you to work.

Well thanks for the info guys, just sucks being here at mesa for 3 years and thinking about starting over again(especially knowing we have to bend over for 4.5 more years). I went to school with a lot of guys that are over there, they started around the same time as i started here and they never complained much. I looked up the asa contract and didn't see CRJ-700 pay? 1st,2nd,3rd year pay? Thanks again guys, i certainly appreciate the info.

Its under LOA 29

CRJ700 Rates

Captain
Date
Year 1 $60.20
Year 2 $62.07
Year 3 $63.97
Year 4 $65.96
Year 5 $68.01
Year 6 $70.11
Year 7 $72.27
Year 8 $74.50
Year 9 $77.51
Year 10 $80.63
Year 11 $83.12
Year 12 $85.69
Year 13 $88.35
Year 14 $91.07
Year 15 $93.89
Year 16 $96.71
Year 17 $99.60
Year 18 $102.59

b. First Officers Longevity Effective
Date
Year 1 $19.02
Year 2 $37.24
Year 3 $38.38
Year 4 $39.58
Year 5 $40.80
Year 6 $42.06
Year 7 $43.36
Year 8 $44.70

I've had a thought about the industry, I'm curious to find out what those of you working for an airline think. I think we will see a merging of pilot salaries. Anytime a few people have all the money the systems falls apart and a radical (or sometimes violent) redistribution of wealth happens.

I think the Delta and United captains have been making far too much in contrast to the Comair captain. While I don’t think the pay will end up equal, I think salaries at the major airlines will drop to perhaps a maximum of 150 or 180 thousand a year while salaries at the regional airlines like Comair will see a maximum of just slightly lower. This will mean the major airline pilots will continue to see a drop in salaries and the regional pilot salaries will continue to rise.

It seems logical to me, but what do you think?

I am not an airline pilot (yet) - however I have thought this through and I think your thoughts are DEAD ON.

There are going to be no more $250 k/year 8 day/month jobs. I believe we will see this as more and more carriers file for bankruptcy. I feel this is especially true when you consider that a Beech 1900 has no autopilot and those guys fly in the weather sometimes 8 or more legs a day! Whereas a 777 goes for about 16 hours non-stop on autopilot with an autoland at the destination. I understand you are responsible for many more lives but the disparity in pay is un-justified. The system needs a shift.

I totally agree with what you said - and I feel that the regionals are going to become life-long carriers paths for many pilots.

All this is (of course) IMHO.

Ralphie my boy- On this one I have to agree!!:D

Why do you all assume that top pay has to decrease for the bottom pay to increase? Are we that quick to forget that before 9/11 airlines were making billions paying those salaries? Traffic WILL come back, and the economy will recover. There is no reason to think that we cannot raise regional salaries without attacking the top of the profession. Of course, in order to do so many pilots would have to change their thinking. Judging from many conversations I have had on this board (including this one), I sometimes doubt that will happen.

Let mgt attack our salaries. We shouldn't do it for them.

Latest resources

Back