Questions for Navy C-9/C-40 guys..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Otto

I'm a C-130 Air Guard pilot looking at getting into a Naval Reserve squadron, trying to get back to the hometown. I was wondering how many days a month do you typically fly and what are the missions like? Do you do a lot of flying around the flagpole for proficiency or is it mostly real world missions? Where do you go to get trained and typed in the aircraft? In the Guard we get 48 FTPs or extra flying days a year...do you get something similar? Is there enough flying going on that a part timer can do it full time (what we in the AF call "guard bum")? Thanks for any info you can give.

I don't know anything about the Navy but how hard is to get released from your unit.Does it take a certain amount of time?

This is all from my unit:

You get 48 regular drills, 72 AFTPs (additionals), 20 RMPs, up to 29 days active, and sometimes more depending on money. There seems to be enough money for everyone to at least get the 48+72+20+two weeks AT.

You have to do a min of one two week det each year which is either Japan or Italy. They also ask for at least 6 days of availability a month. The rest of the flying is typically CONUS coast to coast and some local trainers.

Several guys currently BUM. Most do a mix of airline/reserves. We are hurting for junior guys (junior O4 and below).

PM me with specific questions.

Don't forget Navy C-130 units, my unit just hired a guard herc guy. Locations are in Brunswick, Willow Grove, Andrews, New Orleans, and Pt. Mugu.

We do dets similar to the C-9's and C-40's, no long term deployments like the guard does.

Is there any opportunity for a civvie to get a slot in the reserves or guard under this new contact lenses waiver being talked about? I'd love the chance to serve but don't want to give up the civilian career entirely now that it's finally getting off the ground.

Latest resources

Back