Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cookmg

Hi All,

How long does it typically take to hold a line on a Metro or a 1900? Which bases fly this equipment? Which base would you likely have to go to to get a Metro or 1900 as early as possible? How about the brasilia or Lear? I've heard you have to be at Ameriflight forever to get PIC on these? Is that true?

Thanks.

Sir,

Bases that have Metro/BE1900: BUR,PHX,DFW,OAK,BFI,PDX,BIL,SLC,CVG and San Juan.

Bases that have LJ-35's: BUR,OAK,TEB.

Bases that have Brasilia's:CVG,DFW.

Upgrade time to the Metro/BE1900: about a year to year and a half on average, more or less depending on pilot attrition.

Upgrade time to the Brasilia/Lear 35: When hell freezes over!

The key to quick turbine upgrade: be flexible and willing to change domiciles.

that last post pretty much sums it up. AMF needs quite a few Metro pilots, but they are having to hire from outside to find them lately because of lack of movement in the 99 ranks. it seems like at the bases where there are alot of lance and chieftain pilots, there are not alot of 99 spots(which to upgrade to the 1900 or metro you will need to get time in first) available due to the current pilots not wanting to leave thier current schedule or base to upgrade. If you want to upgrade into the turbines you need to get a base where you can get alot of flying in the piston twins, and then MOVE to a base where you can get into the 99, then it should be only a matter of waiting until you get your mins to get into the metro..of course you will have to MOVE again to do this. Flexibility is the ONLY way you will be able to do this a.k.a you will have NO life for the year and a half(at the VERY most optimistic min) or 2 it will take you to get into the metro or 1900(if you are "lucky").

It's been many years since I was there, but the key is to be willing to move wherever is necessary to get the upgrade. Bid on every route that you are willing to live at the domicile. Of course, if guys are being hired off the street as PIC's in SA227 and BE1900, then as soon as you reach the minimums you should be able to hold one of those. I did my first type there in about a year - but, that was a long time ago, and I was willing to move wherever I had to for the position.

As for Lear positions....the most junior Lear Captain when I was there had 12 years with the company. The most junior Lear FO had about 6 years in - and he was a part time Lear FO, flew the Metro the rest of the time. I would assume the EMB-120 is pretty senior as well for PIC...but no idea about SIC. They weren't even a thought when I was around, so this is just purely speculation on my part.

Latest resources

Back