• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Questions for all of you wiz-kids

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"reil, vasi , threshold, th marking , th lights, tdz, tdzmarkings, tdz lighting, runway ( double check but everything but centerline lights included--which makes since as I have mistaken this for ry edge lights in poor vis. "

It is my understanding that Runway Centerline Lights are included because they are runway lights as specified in 91.175, 3, i, x.

Fellas,

I'll give a few of these a shot. On the first set of questions, MartinFierro wrote of question 7 in his last paragraph...

"In other words, an ILS FAF is at GS intercept, if you intercept it at or below published altitude. If ATC has you on final way out and you happen to intercept the GS at a higher than published altitude, that is not the FAF; you have to ride the GS down to the published intercept altitude to get to the FAF."

Should this be because the FAF is where the MINIMUM HOLDING ALTITUDE intercepts the glide slope point? I hope I'm right about that one. Thus, you will never have to intercept below that point. I can't imagine ATC ever vectoring in IMC below that altitude.

On the first set of questions, number 3, also the runway markings if in sight. I always thought that was a little odd along with threshold markings since in tough visual conditions the lighting systems would be most visible.

On remembering the apporach lighting systems, A1 and A represent ALSF 1 and 2. As they're so common I find those the easiest to remember. For the others, odd's are Mediums, A3 & A5, and even's, A2 & A4, are short. With the higher numbers having runway alignment lights. I haven't flown IFR in a while, don't fly full-time, and use NOAA charts so those who use Jepps may approach this differently.

For the terminal approach question, the Vineyard 24 VOR is a good example, established I think is once the procedure turn is complete and within 4 degrees of course centerline. Then you can start down.

Question 7, 2nd set should be ATC. On departure I think it is as long as the threshold is crossed at 35 AGL and once up to 400 AGL can turns be made on their vectors. Someone here should correct me on that(and possibly the others). Good questions, keep em coming. Thanks.

Mr. I.

Not to be a dorky pilot but the MSA isn't just the Minimum Sector Altitude. It is also the Minimum Safe Altitude. When looking at the MSA circle, if it is segmented into different altitudes, it is minimum sector altitude. If there is no segments, it is minimum safe altitude.

MI,

You asked the question:

"Should this be because the FAF is where the MINIMUM HOLDING ALTITUDE intercepts the glide slope point? I hope I'm right about that one. Thus, you will never have to intercept below that point. I can't imagine ATC ever vectoring in IMC below that altitude. "

Yes ATC will vector a flight to join the localizer at a lesser altitude than GSIA, and at that point, the actual altitude at which the glide slope is intercepted marks the point in space as the FAF.

The replies posted are great, I'll throw my 2 cents in on a couple no one has tried. . .

Question #8 (2nd series) speed limit beyond 12nm:
MMO/VMO! Off the top of my head ;-)

Question #4 (2nd series) 121 fuel reserves:

ref. 121.639 -- Fuel supply: All domestic operations.
No person may dispatch or take off an airplane unless it has enough fuel --
(a) To fly to the airport to which it is dispatched;
(b) Thereafter, to fly to and land at the most distant alternate airport (where required) for the airport to which dispatched; and
(c) Thereafter, to fly for 45 minutes at normal cruising fuel consumption

121.647 Factors for computing fuel required.
Each person computing fuel required for the purposes of this subpart shall consider the following:

(a) Wind and other weather conditions forecast.
(b) Anticipated traffic delays.
(c) One instrument approach and possible missed approach at destination.
(d) Any other conditions that may delay landing of the aircraft. For the purposes of this section, required fuel is in addition to unusable fuel.

Question #2 (2nd series) max dutch roll:
max certified alt. at low speed buffet boundary?

Regards,
Postlight
ex-AAA

On the VOR approach answer, when you are within 10 degrees, within 10 miles of the fix (or airport if there is no fix), and cleared for the approach, you may descend. Also, turning inbound on the procedure turn where there is no FAF: When you turn inbound, this is called the Final Approach Point (FAP). It begins the final approach segment.

On the VOR approach answer, when you are within 10 degrees, within 10 miles of the fix (or airport if there is no fix), and cleared for the approach, you may descend.

True, except that it is not always 10 miles of the navaid. Usually is, but the distance is actually specified on the IAP, and sometimes is not 10 miles.

Latest resources

Back