Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

UALX727

Some quick questions:

1) It sounds like you can bring your wife along for the first few days. Does anybody do that? Is there info aimed specifically for spouses when they are there?? Trying to gauge if it is worth it or not (flying grandparents in to watch kids, etc). When I was at UAL..seemed like everyone brought someone. Not sure if it is like that or not.

2) We are in the Sheraton downtown Dallas. Weighing options of bringing car vs. taking the shuttle. I'm looking at a 20 hr drive. Do most bring car or simply take shuttle?

3) I am told training is 6 days a week and is 2 months long. That basically eliminates the possibility of going home. There will be over 100 AirTran transition pilots staying at that place in Jan/Feb/March. How are you expected to do laundry? With that many pilots, I imagine the hotel washer/dryer wont cut it.

4) Any places to get actual groceries within walking distance of the hotel? Eating hotel/fast food for 2 months has to get old.

5) Any good gyms near the hotel?

6) Anything else you can think of that would be helpful? Just got my packet today.

Thanks!

Some quick questions:

1) It sounds like you can bring your wife along for the first few days. Does anybody do that? Is there info aimed specifically for spouses when they are there?? Trying to gauge if it is worth it or not (flying grandparents in to watch kids, etc). When I was at UAL..seemed like everyone brought someone. Not sure if it is like that or not.

2) We are in the Sheraton downtown Dallas. Weighing options of bringing car vs. taking the shuttle. I'm looking at a 20 hr drive. Do most bring car or simply take shuttle?

3) I am told training is 6 days a week and is 2 months long. That basically eliminates the possibility of going home. There will be over 100 AirTran transition pilots staying at that place in Jan/Feb/March. How are you expected to do laundry? With that many pilots, I imagine the hotel washer/dryer wont cut it.

4) Any places to get actual groceries within walking distance of the hotel? Eating hotel/fast food for 2 months has to get old.

5) Any good gyms near the hotel?

6) Anything else you can think of that would be helpful? Just got my packet today.

Thanks!
1) Lots of good gouge for your significant other. Presentation on benefits and insurance is info most spouses enjoy. Spouses will get a great tour of all the HQ facilities including dispatch and simulators and my wife found it all very interesting since she had rarely had an opportunity to see where I work and train.

2)Several in your group will most likely have a vehicle and will offer rides to training, restaurants and grocery stores etc.

3) You will generally be allowed at least one 3 or 4 day break in order to non rev home, at least that is the way it used to be when I went through years ago.

4) Unsure at that hotel.

5) Unsure at that hotel.

6) It is a pretty laid back experience. The training folks are there to help you succeed and will do anything in their power to accomplish that goal.

The gym at the Sheraton is outstanding. You wont need to go to another gym. Its almost better than a 24 hour fitness.
There are no grocery stores within walking distance, but as previously noted there will be people with cars that make grocery runs several times a week. There is a Kroger les than a 5 minutes drive as well as a Whole Foods.

van service at 0715 and 1715 to and from the hotel. Simulator periods will figured out. Training device availability is extremely limited due to the overload of the training center. Paper tiger fun for all. Heard the hotel is really nice but lots of rooms and lots of people to contend with.

Parking is waived. No groceries to walk to. I would say bring a car unless you don't mind asking to use others. Guys had to wait quite awhile for the shuttle at times. Your wife would probably enjoy it but it is kind of boring for here half the time also. Sheraton is nice but make sure you ask for one of the larger rooms. The smaller ones are like living in a closet. PM me if you have any other questions...

Latest resources

Back