• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Questions about the Coast Guard

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks for the help. You don't hear much about the CG.If you not on watch is your normal day 8 hrs or 10hrs? And are ATP IPs the ones at Mobile and is becoming a T-34 IP possible?

No, you don't hear much about the Coast Guard, Katrina being the big exception. it is truly the best kept secret in the military.

Yes, ATC IPs are the ones in Mobile. The funny thing is most Mobilians don't even realize that the training center is in their own back yard. As far as getting to fly T-34s as a Coast Guard pilot goes, it is not impossible. Most of the CG T-34 pilots come from the fixed wing side of the house but there are some helo pilots who previously flew T-34s in flight school do that as well. We don't have too many pilots over there but they are there.

And lastly, a typical CG pilot work day is usually around 0730 to 1600 it can vary location to location, many days are much later and many times you come in much earlier but I guess that would be the "standard". When you are on duty, you are at the air station 24 hours straight ready to launch. The aircraft must be airborne within 30 minutes of a call.

hope that helped.

Does anybody have any idea what the demand is for fixed wing pilots in the upcoming year or so? I am awaiting word from the October 31st review for OCS, with hopes of earning a pilot slot. If I get it, just wondering what the chances are (I know, it's often supply and demand) for getting one. Thanks!

Sorry, don't know what the fixed wing demand will be but I can tell you the rotary wing demand is increasing dramatically.

sardaddy said:
Sorry, don't know what the fixed wing demand will be but I can tell you the rotary wing demand is increasing dramatically.

Ah, really? Cool.. thanks for the info.. that's awesome.
Is there much of a shot at a transfer if you want to switch to fixed wing? Do many people transfer from one to the other? Just curious.. I mean, flying helo in the CG has got to be AWESOME... it's just I fell in love with airplanes, and that's my first choice (plus that's where all my flying experience lies.)

Thanks so much.

To tell you the truth, the chances are pretty slim to transfer from rotary wing to fixed wing but it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. It all depends on the needs of the CG at the time. It is actually a good thing as you will at least be able to keep your manhood in the rotary wing community. There is no guarantee if you go fixed wing.

sardaddy said:
To tell you the truth, the chances are pretty slim to transfer from rotary wing to fixed wing but it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. It all depends on the needs of the CG at the time. It is actually a good thing as you will at least be able to keep your manhood in the rotary wing community. There is no guarantee if you go fixed wing.

Hmm, ok.. thanks.
And hopefully that also stands for us who have "womanhood" instead! lol..

Sardaddy
I'm about to get out of the Army and trying to apply to the May06 board, I hear the May board typically has fewer DCA slots, should I wait till NOV?
Thanks for your help!
Chris

Charlie-Echo, I have never heard that before. I'm not at headquarters and don't pick the officers but I personally wouldn't wait for a later board. Remember the old saying "You are guaranteed to miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

Sardaddy... good point.

Also, your interview is good for two years (I think). I applied for last year's DCA board, and just missed the age cut-off. They bumped the limit up for this year, so I resubmitted my package. I just updated my resume and flight hours, added a few extra trimmings, and resigned my SF-86 for the current year, and got a new medical. It was pretty easy. The DCA detailer is very helpful, and you should have no problem.

I guess the long-short is that if you don't get picked up for one board, it is easy to prep your package for the next.

Good luck.

Latest resources

Back