Questions about requirements

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Hobiehawker

A flight instructor and I got into a discussion and have our ideas but are not certain about two questions.

The first has to do with time requirements for the commercial license. In the dual required FAR 61.129 states:

"One cross-country flight of at least 2 hours in a single-engine airplane in day VFR conditions, consisting of a total straight-line distance of more than 100 nautical miles from the original point of departure"

The question is if the Instrument dual XC was performed in VFR conditions would this fulfill this requirement?

The second question is if a Commercial Applicant was endorsed for their checkride and after the ride somehow it was discovered that the minimum requirements were not met. would this affect the applicants license.

Nothing sinister going here. We are just curious for the fine people of FI's opinions or knowledge.

Thanks.

Q1. Once you put on a hood, you are no longer flying in day VFR conditions. My take is that it would have to be two separate flights. The point is to demonstrate/teach both VFR and IFR navigation.

Q2. When you sign the new certificate, it says right on it that it can be revoked if it is found to be issued in error. Although you can use it right away, it's not "official" until you get the permanent one from Ok City.

I believe you are right DUATS on Q1. The instrument x-c is done in either VMC or IMC under IFR. The commercial x-c must be done VFR. This is to ensure 2 x-c's being done properly for the corresponding rating/cert.

Q2 is correct

If your student did the cross-country flight during private pilot training of at least 2 hours in a single-engine airplane in day VFR conditions, consisting of a total straight-line distance of more than 100 nautical miles from the original point of departure it can be used for commercial as well.

But 100nm is not required for private training. But I suggest doing this during early training so it won't be a factor later on.

Thanks for all the responses. As it always works, the FAA changed the reg within the past few months. It now reads:

"One 2-hour cross country flight in a single engine airplane in daytime conditions that consists of a total straight-line distance of more than 100 nautical miles from the original point of departure;"

No more VFR requirement. Why would you need this training to begin with? Oh well.

It is both your responsibility and that of the flight instructor to make sure that all the requirements are met prior to going to take a check ride. If the examiner/inspector finds that you somehow don't meet the requirements I don't think it would be a big issue if it was just a mistake. However, if it could be proven that the records were somehow falsified then you or the flight instructor could be in trouble. This is from me, a former FAA Inspector.

Latest resources

Back