Questions about college

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

oilcanbland

I've got a a question about my classes. If you guys could help me out I'd appreciate it.

OK, first of all, what I want to do is be a pilot. My college offers a degree in pro flight. However when I talked to you guys a few months ago, you told me that I should consider getting a degree in something other that aviation for something to fall back on, other than flying. So I thought about it and talked to my parents, and decided to take some classes in electronics, and have been taking electronics classes the last two semesters. Plus, I figured if I could find a part-time job in the electronics field while going to school and make decent money, that could help me pay for some flying (without taking out a bunch of loans). I enjoy the electronics classes and am doing very well in those classes, but I am extremely anxious to get started with my flying. I haven't started flying yet, but I'm planning on starting this next summer semester. The reason I haven't started flying yet is because I was on the baseball team at my school, and recently quit. Baseball took up so much time, I didn't have time to begin flying.

Here is my question. I'm really close to getting an associate (2 year) degree in electronics, and I know I'm going to finish that off and get that. I also know that I want to go through the flight program offered by my college. What my question is, after I finish off my associate degree in electronics, would you guys reccommend going ahead and getting the bachelors degree in electronics or pro flight? Like I said, you guys told me that it is a good idea to have something other than aviation to fall back on. (After Sept. 11, I see why). And I know that most airlines want you to have a bachelors degree, so I'm not even considering not getting one. But which way should I go? Should I stop at the associate degree and get the bachelors in pro flight? Or should I go ahead and get the bachelors in electronics and just do my flying on the side?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

I think you are better off with a degree in electronics....not sure what that's all about....but if you enjoy it, do well in it, and see it as a chance to make some money besides flying...then it's the best way to go. A degree in aeronautics is a waste of time unless you don't have any other interests.

Good question. I don't know if I have a good answer, but here's what i'm thinking... So far, it sounds like you've made some good, smart decisions. I think everyone would agree with you that it is important to get your bachelors. I was one of those that recommended you get a degree in something outside of aviation that you would be able to fall back on if you needed to. So I guess the question you should ask yourself is this: Can you get a decent job in electronics and make a living at it with an associates degree? I'm not familiar with this line of work, but I think you would be better off getting the bachelors degree in electronics as opposed to aviation. The airlines don't care what your bachelors degree is in, and an aviaition degree really won't help you get a job as a pilot all that much anyway. Might as well get the one that would be more useful to you if you were unable to fly for whatever reason. So I guess my advice would be to get your bachelores degree in electronics. If you're really feeling ambitious, go ahead and get a double major!

Bachelor's degree

You need to base your decision on the earnings potential you have with a two-year electronics degree. Does an Associate's in electronics open doors and find you work. If so and it is sufficient to serve as your fallback plan, getting the Bachelor's in pro flight might be the way to go. I like a degree in Aeronautical Science. Looking back, I wish I had taken another B.S. in that and finished my ratings in an organized program. I look at it in terms of the learning you will acquire. It's true; you must have a four-year degree to get your ticket punched, but it can be in ANYTHING.

Of course, as posted above, you will have the best of all worlds if you pursue a double major.

PS-Based on some the discussions I've seen on the board, I'd suggest that no matter what you choose you find a course in American Labor Movement or some course about labor unions as an elective. Unionism is very influential in the industry and the more you understand about it, the better off you'll be.

Last edited:
Thanks for the opinions. The associates degree will open doors for me in the electronics field, but it wouldn't be as much as if I got the bachelors. As far as double majoring. Every time I have mentioned that to someone, they have advised against it, because they say it would be a huge workload. Personally I kind of want to do that, but everyone says that it is a huge workload. I do have a lot of ambition, however. Maybe I should quit listening to them and just try it. And if it gets to be too much, I could just drop one of them and come back to it later. What do you think?

Go for the electronics degree. If you stop at the associate level and get the pro flight B.S., and then for some reason can't fly (medical, job market, family considerations?) you'll just end up forking out more money to go back to school to finish up the electronics stuff. My degree is in flight technology and is completely worthless outside of what I'm doing now. On the other hand, you only get to live once so go with what makes you happy.:cool:

Sounds like a plan Stan!

Double majors can be very time consuming, but it depends what you are double majoring in and how dedicated you are. At the UofI it would be insane to get a double major in engineering and business at the same time, whereas engineering and say english would be doable. You don't have to get them at the same time either. You could get the electrical bachelors first and then worry about the aviation one after that. Some schools offer distance learning where you can earn a bachelors degree in aviation via the internet. Another option would be to take classes during summer session. This would lighten up your fall and spring class loads. I took two classes for my major and one flight class every summer. Summer session is alot more laid back compared to fall and spring semesters. At UofI at least, taking 3 classes during the summer wasn't that big a deal. Plus I still had plenty of time to work a part time job and relax with friends at the pub!

Don't forget to have at least a little fun at college! If you don't have fun while you're there, I guarantee you will regret it later on.

Best of luck!
I

Last edited:
Indiana State

I am currently at Indiana State. From what I hear, we have a pretty good aviation program. I don't really want to pass up the chance to get some good eduaction about flight, so I do want to go through the flight program. My dilemma lies in whether I should get a bachelors in electronics, flight, or both.

The real name of the major is Electronics Technology. It isn't quite the same as an electrical engineering degree, but it is very similar. Yes, I am going to take summer classes this semester. Fortunately, ISU is located in my hometown, Terre Haute. This is very convenient, because it gives me some flexibility with classes. Plus, I (my parents) don't need to pay for housing fees.

I think I am going to do this. I will declare a double major, and from then on, just play it by semester. This will keep my options open, and allow me to choose which classes I want as the time comes. And if it gets to be too much, I will just have to see where I am at that point, and make a decision based on that.

I am the type of person that likes to keep my options open. Aviation is my first love, but I want to have something else to fall back on. Thanks guys for the advice. Keep it coming if you have more.

A class on unions, huh? Maybe I'll look into that.
Don't worry. I'm having fun in college too.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back