Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

NYRANGERS

Hey all, I am wondering what the deal is with someone owning an airplane and wanting to pay someone to fly it for him. I can't remember all the rules anymore.

I think it would be more to fly along with the owner.

Any advice would be much appreciated,

thanks,

NYR

Just flying people around in their plane - sounds like pt 91 to me. Pilot's got to have commercial to get paid and ratings/types for the plane.

flywithastick said:
Just flying people around in their plane - sounds like pt 91 to me. Pilot's got to have commercial to get paid and ratings/types for the plane.

What if the flying was to go on business trips or pick up clients and such?

My understanding is if it is part 91 then it is ok. I just want to make sure I am correct on this matter.

Thanks a lot for you help.

NYR

NYRANGERS said:
What if the flying was to go on business trips or pick up clients and such?

My understanding is if it is part 91 then it is ok. I just want to make sure I am correct on this matter.
First, I'm no expert, but I've had some buddies work for pt 91 operations and know how they operate. One thing you mentioned concerns me... picking up clients. For it to be a pt 91 operation, they have to be family, (non-work related) friends or employees of the owner company, I believe. If it's business clients, then you may be getting into a 135 operation.

Check with "Doc" at the following link for some good "free" advice.

http://www.propilot.com/doc/

If you don't get a real definitive answer, you might want to check with your local friendly FSDO before carrying the clients.

As long as you don't own or provide the aircraft, your ok. Your only providing your services as a commercial pilot under part 91. It doesn't really matter who your flying or for what reason. So long as your boss isn't profiting from the flights (eg- using his aircraft to fly other people from point A to B for compensation or hire), your fine. Doesn't matter if it's him, his family, clients etc...

Latest resources

Back