Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Question to the AirTran community out there!! (all others as well :) )

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BlueEagle19

Well I suppose I am at a point were its time to make a career move (stuck it out freight flying in partially working BE99s for longer then most:) )!! I've been eyeing AirTran for a while and it stands as first choice, but I suppose the question applies to any national drivers out there: Almost afraid to ask.....I've been brousing the recent hires that posted on aviatoninterviews.com...and it appears that almost predominately everyone hired had their resumes walked in. Do you guys/gals have any input? Was yours walked in? If not what kind of time were you hired with??
I am sitting with about 1000 twin turbine PIC and 3200 total, 4yr engineering degree and I'm pretty young (24)...looks ok on paper but now with most places using online applications and myself lacking connections what woud you guys honestly say the chances are of getting onboard??
Thanks everyone, appreciate any input!!!
Happy New Year!!

No doubt you have been slogging it out in the trenches, doing some challenging flying, but if it isn't under 121, you may run into a problem with AirTran.

AirTran has an unusual requirement of 500 hrs 121 PIC, which SWA, Jet Blue, CAL and the others don't have, so I would have to say that unless the flying you are doing is under 121, you would probably find your efforts paying off better with those carriers before AirTran.

FWIW, as a former 135 guy, I don't agree with this policy, but nobody in management asked my opinion on it.

I believe AirTran may make an exception to this requirement on occaision, but that would probably take some serious internal recommendations. I fly with a lot of newhires, and they are by and large either former Legacy pilots, Regional Captains or Milspec pilots- I haven't seen any 135 guys in the past year.

You could go to an Air Inc. meet 'n greet, but I'd save my money until the policies change or your resume does.

Best of Luck

Last edited:
BlueEagle19 said:
..I've been brousing the recent hires that posted on aviatoninterviews.com...and it appears that almost predominately everyone hired had their resumes walked in. Do you guys/gals have any input? Was yours walked in?

The JetBlue system is set up such that you do not need to know someone to get hired. In fact, internal recommendations don't make a difference until after the interview. There is no "walking in" of applications. Many of our pilots didn't know a single JetBlue pilot before they got hired, particularly those from the corporate ranks (and JetBlue does hire many from the part 135 and part 91 corporate world). Having said that, you probably need more flight time to get hired at JetBlue in general, as BE99 time does not count towards the 1000 hour requirement of flight time in 20,000 lbs or greater MTOW aircraft. Keep the faith, get the hours, and you will stand a good chance from the corporate ranks of getting an interview at JetBlue.

Skirt

I interviewed in Dec and start in the 09Jan class. One guy at the interview was Trans Meridian. I think that was a cargo outfit. He is in the 09Jan also.

Trans Meridian was a pax charter outift. They ran flights for travel agencies that put together packages.TC

Thanks guys...so not quite airline material - any input on the next logical step? Would going corporate make sence? I gringe at the thougt of regionals, would almost make it feel like last 2 years went to waste...some of my ex students would prolly be flying captain next to me!! grrr plus a big pay cut... I'm pretty open to suggestions!

If you want to get on at AirTran you have 2 choices, join the military or get some 121 PIC time. I don't know of any corporate jobs that operate under 121.

BlueEagle19 said:
Thanks guys...so not quite airline material - any input on the next logical step? Would going corporate make sence? I gringe at the thougt of regionals, would almost make it feel like last 2 years went to waste...some of my ex students would prolly be flying captain next to me!! grrr plus a big pay cut... I'm pretty open to suggestions!

something else to consider in this whole equation...by flying 121 you might make the contacts you need to go elsewhere...When I started here at ASA I knew no one in the industry...but soo many of our guys and gals have left to the majors that now I have connections at most when the time is right. These same students of yours that will be your captain might be the guys that will walk your resume into Airtran and get you hired...just food for thought. The days of applying and getting hired are over...you need someone batting for you...that goes for Airtran, Continental, UPS, Fedex...etc. Jetblue and Southwest you might not need them right away...but...you might need a bigger plane for Jetblue and Southwest needs a type unless you have tons of 121 time...I know a guy here who flew 91 and managed to get an interview at Southwest...got turned down...and now is here since that is probably what was missing in his resume. pick a good regional (THAT might be tough)...get your time and you might not be in hell...i mean a regional for very long...

Latest resources

Back