Question to fedex and ups guys.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FishandFly

I am a captain at ASA. I am considering leaving aviation to pursue another career. If I change my mind in say 5-10 years, would my being out of an airline for a while block me from getting an interview?

If you were in charge of hiring...

Would you hire someone after a 5-10 yr hiatus for a coveted position when the resumes below yours have the same time/type/PIC and are currently flying?

I am a captain at ASA. I am considering leaving aviation to pursue another career. If I change my mind in say 5-10 years, would my being out of an airline for a while block me from getting an interview?

If you're going to leave, join the marines and fly fighters and then when you're done apply to FedEx. That's all they hire anyway.

If you're going to leave, join the marines and fly fighters and then when you're done apply to FedEx. That's all they hire anyway.

There are quite a bit of former regional pilots (civilian background) friends of mine working at FDX now a days, I'm not sure this is a fair statement

But going back to the threads point, I left aviation for about 4 years after the downturn of the 90's. It all depends on supply and demand, if airlines start hiring 80 pilots a month as before 9/11, they will take anybody with a pulse and a certificate. The question is, will we ever see those times again? time will tell.

I wish you luck on your new endeavor

Last edited:
There are quite a bit of former regional pilots (civilian background) friends of mine working at FDX now a days, I'm not sure this is a fair statement.

I know the feeling.......sometimes only a bit of me shows up for work too.

Last edited:
UPS will not be hiring for years so I wouldn't worry about it. We just retired three fleet types of three man airplanes (727, 747, DC8) within the last 2 years. Throw in contract talks in 2012. The latest rumor is a preferential bidding system down the road, so that will lop off any need for pilots for many many years.

If the stars all align incorrectly, I can see UPS not needing pilots for 7 to 10 years.

Latest resources

Back