Question regarding Embry Riddle

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Talian

A friend of mine is looking into colleges for his daughter and their main focus is on Embry Riddle in Arizona. She wants to study aeronautical engineering and wants to work for NASA someday.
I have heard alot of negative things about Embry Riddle and would like some feedback on this school as well as othr schools specializing in this area.

The engineering departments are good. I think most people bash it for the flight training, and flying related degrees.

A friend of mine is looking into colleges for his daughter and their main focus is on Embry Riddle in Arizona. She wants to study aeronautical engineering and wants to work for NASA someday.
I have heard alot of negative things about Embry Riddle and would like some feedback on this school as well as othr schools specializing in this area.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/college/spec-aero

They seem to like Embry-Riddle for aeronautical engineering. The USN&WR rankings are criticized themselves, but it might pay to get their 2009 issue and take a detailed peak of their engineering school survey as a start. If I was going to spend the $$ to go there for any degree program, I think I'd lean towards Daytona, unless the student has a burning desire to stay in Arizona.

Most of the negative stuff about ERAU on this forum is typical baseless, flightinfo.com drivel and relates to their flight programs. I think I'd hunt around the internet for a forum that has professional engineers on it and ask the question there.

ERAU's AE programs are out of this world. there hard courses and a lot of people change their degrees within the first year. If she has that goal set then she should be good. Like KF and UAL said most people bash erau's flight department (quilty) due to the number of people they push through. I have tons of friends that have internships and jobs right out of ERAU with NASA.

PM if you want any more questions answered since i'm a former riddle rat

Hell I attended ERAU's flight department and I'll bash it on occasion, and usually agree with people that talk ******************** about it. But I've honestly can't remember anybody who had serious complaints about the engineering programs. Mostly good reports.

I know of several folks who went from ERAU Daytona straight to NASA after graduation, and have great jobs.

yes, Iknow a lot of them too! some of them still work for them...

good school!

ERAU's AE program is excellent. I know many AE's from ERAU and they are all pleased with the jobs they ended up with. None I know work for NASA, though some interned there. One works for Skunk Works, two for GE, another works with the Navy on the F-14, one for Piper, and so on. I believe your friend may change her mind regarding NASA after a few classes. There are better opportunities out there than NASA. Although it is kinda cool to honestly say that you are a rocket engineer. :)

I went to the Daytona campus for the flight side of things. I was lucky enough to get most of my ratings off campus, but had to do my commercial multi through them. It was horrible. The flight dept is a joke and if it was run like a true FBO where students could just get up and leave I think that enough people would have left and the flight school would shut down.

With that being said the academic part of Riddle is great. I actually thought that the classes I took were well taught and gave good info. I have buddies that did the engineering side and they all have good jobs. Like it was said the "space physics" or what ever that major was called does have a very low success rate. A few of my buddies (3 or 4) were in it and only 1 made it thru. Those classes are brutal and most only last one year before changing to aeronautical engineering. I have nothing but good things to say about the academic side of things and only bad things about the flight dept.

I guess to sum it up its just like everyone else said. The bad things you hear are due to the joke that is the flight dept. I have only heard good things about the engineering side and I know when I was there my buddies had some pretty cool classes and got to play around with wind tunnels and stuff.

Latest resources

Back