Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Horizon

Thrust=Weight+Drag
Why is it that for an instrument rating, you need 50 hours of XC time if you do it part 91, but can get an instrument rating immediately if you go 141?

What about a commercial certificate? Do you need 250TT, or can 141 get you a comm. rating faster as well?

Thanks.

Yes some schools can give the Commercial with less than 250 hours. 141 schools are more established and controlled than part 61 schools so the FAA gives them a break. - how else could we get our 240 hour intern/FOs?

Why is it that for an instrument rating, you need 50 hours of XC time if you do it part 91, but can get an instrument rating immediately if you go 141?

What about a commercial certificate? Do you need 250TT, or can 141 get you a comm. rating faster as well?

Thanks.

Why ? Because the FAA determined pilots would receive adequate instruction at 141 schools.

Do i agree with that? No.... not as far as the instrument rating is concerned at least...... scares the sheet out of me knowing most of them only passed the checkride by constantly doing the same approach over and over again in the local area just to impress the DPE - but the truth is they would have issues at most airports not familiar to them.

Agree with mattpilot a bit: there are plenty of students getting their instrument rating by repeating the stage checks or even the end of course/checkride doing the same approach over and over. But if you're at a good school, the instructor should try to incorporate approaches from surrounding airports served by different ATC centers/approach controls. I got my instrument rating at about 75-80 hours, but wasnt comfortable doing approaches down to minimums before well into commercial, and didnt shoot well stabilized approaches until becomming CFII.

The FAA's "standard" hours for 141 programs are:
Private - 35
Instrument - 35
Commercial - 120

You can also get a special curricula approved to do a course in fewer hours. Most special courses I've heard of (even participated in one) are the Commercial course.

The reason you can get away with fewer hours is that the FAA has specifically checked out the syllabus, training facilities, Chief Flight Instructor, management, aircraft, etc. and approved each and every lesson.

After 24 months of being a 141 school if you have the requirements of 141.5 met you can apply for self examining authority if you're not using a "short course". That means the Chief Flight Instructor, Assistant Chief or Check Instructor can actually conduct the end of course check like a practical test. If you pass, your information gets forwarded on and your temporary is sent to you. If you fail, no pink slip is issued (usually - unless your chief happens to be a DPE also or you do the ride with a FSDO inspector) and you re-take the "lesson".

It's pretty simple but complex at the same time.

-mini

Latest resources

Back