Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Earl Williams

Greetings fellow aviators!

Although I've done my PPL and IR Part 141, I've decided to switch to Part 61 for the Commercial to allow for some flexibility in scheduling airplanes at different FBO's. Coming from Part 141, where everything is so structured in the syllabus, I was curious if what I'm doing is common. Basically, since I only have around 120 hours, I'm just going out and flying a bunch of XC's in order to build up towards the 250. My CFI said that we'll probably start working on maneuvers at around the 200 hour mark, and then shortly thereafter transition into the complex (which I'll do my checkride in).

I suppose I'm just used to the PPL and IR training whereby each lesson has specific maneuvers to work on, and you kind of "check off" specific objectives after each flight. Versus the Commerical so far which has been essentially just going out and flying. Is it common for the beginning part of the Commercial rating to be like this?...just going out and building time, hour after hour? (which has been VERY fun, I must say!!) For those CFI's, or those who've done the Commercial, was this about the way you've done it?

Thanks for the responses, and fly safe!
-Earl

I've seen people switch program types. I don't think it is all that uncommon.

I'd take a look at the logbook and decide how much time you need in certain categories. Do you need night and cross country time? Kill two birds with one stone. Need total time? Why not start working on the multi once or twice a week? How about actual instrument time? I think you see the possibilities.

I did all of my training under part 61. I had to adjust to a part 141 teaching style when I started working, but that wasn't a problem.

Have fun. You'll always look back on these days fondly.

Hi...

In addition to the previous post, allow me to insert some of my own thoughts.

If you take a look at the Commercial PTS, it stipulates that as a Commercial Pilot candidate you must be able to demonstrate "overall mastery" of the aircraft.

It also indicates that all pertinent maneuvers are to be done "with the outcome never seriously in doubt."

With that being said, here's my $.02.

Take this time to not only build the required minimum hours, but also to hone your professional skills.

Professionalism, integrity and character are just as important as the ability to fly safely and recall knowledge when necessary.

Smoothness, accuracy and precision, (amongst other things), are paramount.

Work on passenger briefings as well as departure/approach briefings.

Make certain you are familiar with the FAR's that pertain to Commercial Operators, (119, 121, 125, 135...and others). In addition, brush up on Parts 21, 25, 43, 61, 67, 71, 73, 91 and NTSB 830.

Study weather theory thoroughly as well as weather services.

Become very intimate with weight & balance and weight shift calculations.

Aircraft systems should be a comfortable topic.

The things I mention here are just a FEW of the areas that can be placed in front of you. You may have heard this before, but anything is fair game at this level.

Good luck

Excellent post!

Always strive to do your best. Remember, one of the ATP requirements is that you be a person of good character.

Be an example.

thanks...great advice!

It hit me recently that this rating will actually classify me as a "commercial" pilot, and I should expect when it's all said and done to be at the level of one who could be flying for hire. All the tolerances are being tightened, and I shouldn't have an excuse for drifting off the centerline when landing, or misjudging the ETA of that next checkpoint.

Although the first couple XC's after the IR were basically getting up and having fun (without the hood!) I'm starting to make sure that each flight I continue to challenge myself to get better. I guess that's the point of all this time-building...utlize every minute in the plane to your advantage.

-Earl

Commercial certificate

I second Flymach's post. Excellent comments.

I remember my examiner lecturing me on the implications of being a Commercial pilot. His talk made a strong impression that I remember to this day from something like eighteen years ago.

It is common in the standard 141 program to fly off your Commercial cross-country requirements soon after you finish your Private. Somewhere your instructor should take you on your long night cross country. Also, your instructor should be starting you on the commercial maneuvers and maximum performance takeoffs and landings. Then, of course, you will be starting your instrument training. Your instructor will start you with BAI in the sim and you will progress to radio navigation. Of course, under Part 61 it will be less rigid than 141.

Good luck with your training. It is vital that you approach it seriously but not be so intense about it that you lose sight of the enjoyment of it all.

Latest resources

Back