• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Question on Sectionals

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The reason for the lower altitude (700' agl) is to keep IFR flights on an approach procedure, inside controlled airspace longer. This is evident at some airports where the magenta line is not a perfect circle around the entire airport, but instead it is a rectangle extension aligned with a runway. Most of the time it is found at class D airports that go class E after hours.

Huggyu2 said:
- do that many pilots really fly around a bare VFR mins, below 1200' AGL? I see that at least one on this forum does, but are there really enough to warrant all of this?

There's a lot of people doing pipeline/powerline patrol. Also, Helicopters like class G airspace, because we can fly around with no visibility requirement at all (just enough to see and avoid others &obstacles).

Furthermore, What if you file IFR out of an uncontrolled airfield, but there is no RCO on that field? Well, with an instrument rating, you are allowed to fly IFR in class G airspace without a clearence. So to get your clearence, you take off, stay in class G airspace until you can reach center or someone else to get your IFR clearence. While it definitely isn't safe to go INTO clouds that low, what you can do is get much closer to clouds while trying to get a radio signal.

Huggyu2 said:
- If the WX is low enough that you need to duck down below 1200' AGL or even 700' AGL to navigate around the country on a regular basis, why wouldn't you just go above it, or file IFR (yes, I know it's a lot of fun).

Helicopters like to stay close to the ground. The problem with climbing in helicopters is, you will need to lean the mixture, and nobody likes to do that during flight. Furthermore, IFR equipped helos are some expensive machines.

Also, airplanes doing pipeline/powerline patrols are often low-tech with little instrumentation. Can't send them into the soup.

Huggyu2 said:
- I know none of you wrote the rules (you just abide by them), but maybe you CFI/CFII types have some background knowledge on this: why not just have the floor be a compromise of about 1000' AGL, and be done with this 700'/1200' complexity? Does having a single altitude really adversely affect a bunch of flyers (crop dusters maybe)?

As you said, i didn't write the rules, so i'm just laying out my best guess to each of your question.

Why not 1000'AGL? Because 1000AGL is often the minimum altitude you need to stay about congested area. I know, its a beotch :). So 1200agl to allow some freedom of movement, and 700AGL so IFR flyers have more protection on approach.

Huggyu2 said:
- Is it just me, or do others find having so much magenta all over the sectionals make the sectionals cluttered? I know I'd sure like it if I could buy Sectionals that didn't have all of that on them.

Doesn't bother me. I've learned to "ignore" them. They are useful if your trying to find out real quick if your destination airport has an IFR approach. The only time i reaaaallly pay attention to them is if i'm in a helicopter. I like staying in class G.

Huggyu2 said:
- do that many pilots really fly around a bare VFR mins, below 1200' AGL? I see that at least one on this forum does, but are there really enough to warrant all of this?
- If the WX is low enough that you need to duck down below 1200' AGL or even 700' AGL to navigate around the country on a regular basis, why wouldn't you just go above it, or file IFR (yes, I know it's a lot of fun).
Yes, there are quite a few pilots down there, as Matt indicated...as to going above it, or filing IFR, a lot of those airplanes are non-electric, no gyro (or like my Maule, with just a turn needle for gyros), or otherwise not legal or safe to fly above or in the clouds. Icing and embedded thunderstorms are REALLY good reasons not to go in the clouds if you're not properly equipped. (no, I don't fly around embedded thunderstorms with 800-ft ceilings and a mile visibility, but the airspace down there is useful.)

Performance limitations, pilot currency and qualification...the list gets pretty long if you think about it.

Fly safe!

David

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back