Question on approach plates !

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

frank rizzo

Can someone explain the way when you are looking at a plate what kind of entry you would make on the missed approach instructions. Ive been reading books and cannot find any info on this any help would be great thanks

I'm Confused

Frank,

I don't think I understand your question. Could you clraify what you are looking for?

What I think you mean is the type of entry in MA holding? Unless it is a teardrop or specific entry depicted, any type that keeps you in protected airspace.

Perhaps I misunderstood the question?

Frank,

A hold on a missed approach is entered just as any other hold. On an approach chart, it's often easier to visualize because the holding pattern is depicted, and it's drawn in relation to the facilities in use. It's all in one spot, so most of the time you can see at a glance what entry to use.

Don't get bound up over seventy degrees this or that. If it looks like you can enter direct, do so. If it looks like a teardrop will work, then do that. If a parallel gets your goat, go for it. Not a big deal. I tend to prefer direct or teardrop. Direct for obvious reasons, but if a course reversal is necessary to get established, especially at a time when cleanup checks are being conducted and there may be a higher cockpit workload, the teardrop places me farther from the fix and gives me a little more time to get established inbound at the completion of the turn.

Read the missed approach instructions. Then look at the depicted proceedure. If you brief yourself on this before beginning the approach, it will be much more simple. Most always you'll know at a glance what kind of entry you want to do. When I'm actually flying an approach, or supporting someone else flying an approach, I only stay one step ahead during the proceedure, for the most part. I'll advise the next turn and altitude. Once that turn and altitude is made, I'll advise the next.

When it comes time for the missed, I'll go for the initial turn and climb. When it comes time to enter the hold, it's just like every other part of the proceedure. The next turn will be XXX, altitude XXX.

It's probably not a good idea to be looking at your plate when going missed. I see it a lot, the student tries to figure out the the entry from looking at the plate and get even more confused. Just figure it out by the outbound heading and using your pen or thumb or whatever your instructor has tought you. That way you dont take your eyes too far away from the panel.

Jaybird,

The missed approach should be briefed before beginning the approach, as should the entire proceedure. However, one shouldn't make an effort to memorize the proceedure, but only to become familiar with it. If one makes a mental note of how one will enter the turn during this briefing, so much the better.

I knew a crew (who are dead now) who attempted to fly one approach from memory and a quick work up from text given by ATC.

I tend to refer back to the chart several times during the approach; I confirm the next heading and altitude with each turn and action. Referring to the missed approach proceedure on the chart is important. A missed approach is critical, like a takeoff. You're low, in potential close proximity to terrain and obstacles, and it's not a time to be flying something memorized incorrectly.

Also, depending on the type of approach, conditions, navaids, and the equipment in the aircraft, going missed may be the time that the navheads/radios are reconfigured for the missed approach proceedure. This is especially the case for airplanes equipped with only one navhead. Therefore, verifying the missed proceedure using the chart is essential. At this stage, as well as in the preapproach briefing stage, a glance at the depicted hold or proceedure should be more than adequate to gain an understanding of the entry.

The students are becomming confused because they're attempting to figure out something that should have been handled before the approach ever began. They're simply far behind the airplane. Looking at the plate isn't confusing, nor overly distracting, but failure to prepare sure is.

Has anyone experiences with executing missed approaches other than being vectored to close to an other plane or weather?
Just interested!

Missed Approach

Our Flight Ops manual in the approach briefing section describes the missed approach and entry as part of the approach brief.

It is a great aid as was said in earlier posts above to know that when you hit the fix you turn to heading xxx. In jet and turboprop equipment both pilots are as busy as one armed paper hangers getting configured and set up. Some automated aircraft are actually more work intensive in a missed approach situaition.

"A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five"

Latest resources

Back