Question on Application

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JohnyChimpo22

How far back should you go on your driving record? I am filling out and application and it doesn't give a time frame. Anyone know where you can get a copy of what they would see if they did a background check. I had 2 speeding tickets back in 97 and 98. Thanks

I would be honest, I think any company knows that most everyone has a ticket or two on their record. If you tell them you don't have any tickets and they found out, you'll for sure not get the job. I would also make sure to say, either in the application or in the interview something like "I had two tickets 7 years ago but I've kept a clean driving record ever since."

I would answer the question as honestly as you can. If this is the Southwest application, I would put the two old tickets on the app. I went to the Pilot open house in Dallas and they addressed this issue. They said some of their searches uncovered items not on other records. If that is true or not, I don't know. They said everyone has a ticket and joked about pilots having a heavy foot. Better to provide any info you have rather then have them find out later.

Where is the info???

Where do you get this information. When I get a copy of my driving record from the DMV, it only goes back a few years (seven, I think...). I know I had speeding tickets from long ago that do not show up. I have even asked at DMV and they say that a company running a background check will only see what is on that report.

I want to be completely honest, but I just can't remember when I had the tickets. Where is the info???

Thx,
N2F

I don't know!

I'm just telling you what the People Dept said in front of the group at the Pilot Open House earlier this year. Many folks asked the exact question you are asking. The rep from the airline said exactly this "the question does not specify a time period. If you have ever had a ticket, put down what you remember." Many folks raised the point that it doesn't show on any report, etc, etc but the folks at Southwest want a complete answer. Do what you want to do. I had a ticket from 1988 that I listed with the best details I can remember. I didn't have the date and paid the fine but I listed the time period it could have been. At the time I had a CT license driving in CA. Nobody should be able to find that info anywhere. It wasnt worth a career at a major to not list it. Other airlines specify time periods for their questions. I answered them honestly. It's up to you.

Be honest

I had 7 or 8 speeding tickets, none of which were on my driving record. The most recent was 1997. I listed every one of them on the application (SWA), even though I couldn't recall the exact dates or locations. I included a statement explaining this, and the question never came up in the interview. I am now waiting for a training date.

Bottom line is be honest, even if you think it won't show up on your driving record. Nobody's perfect, and they know that. Better to be up front about it than have them find a skeleton in the closet later. I guarantee you won't get hired if they catch you in a lie.

Latest resources

Back