Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

veneratio

Example:

The aircraft is 10 NM West of the ABC VOR at 30,000 ft and is told to hold West on the 270 Radial, left turns. Obviously this is a direct entry and upon overflying the fix, the pilot will iniciate a left turn to a 270 heading (assuming no wind).

My Question is this?

Let's say you are busy and overfly the ABC VOR by 5 to 10 miles before you realize what happened and then initiate the left turn to enter the hold, can u do this or is there a NM limit by which you can pass the fix and not get violated?

I think that you may have an invitation to talk to someone from the FAA.

Shouldn't your 145 do all of that for you? How hard is it to forget to push a button?:D;)

Your clearance limit is the VOR. Assuming that ATC gave you a timely notification of your holding instructions you are responsible for remaining within the protected HPAS, that is the purpose for reccommended entry procedures and holding speeds. Real world unless you got tangled up with another aircraft you'll mostly likely only get a verbal slap from the controller. Aircraft stray outside of protected airspace quite frequently. Controllers refer to monitoring the stacks of holding aircraft as 'sheparding'.

In my opinion if you don't have time to set it up, you tell the controller unable. If you accept the clearance don't deviate or it COULD cost you.

Latest resources

Back