Question from a Regional Guy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FORE LEFT

I wouldlike to know if most of you are trying to get to the regional level. I ask because I am trying to leave ASA right now. I have an oppertunity with a part 135 company flying hawkers based where I live. The pay is better, I won't have to commute, but it is on call and I have not done that in quite some time. I would just like to get some opinions on this one. Thanks in advance.

Your question is vague. If you are asking if most 135 pilots aspire to fly for a regional, I can personally say no, and answer for every pilot I work with and say no. I have only heard of two in my whole career, and they left bottom feeders.

I would be interested to see if anyone with any real flight experience wants to fly for a regional airline. Maybe I will be surprised.

FORE LEFT said:
I wouldlike to know if most of you are trying to get to the regional level.

No way! Never flew for the regionals, never will. I wanted to at one point, but the gods had a different plan and I am so glad I never got tied up with them.

I think most 135 pilots are looking at going to fractionals and have no intentions on flying for regionals. I know I personally would think a career should go from flight instructing to regional to 135 to career goal.

ASA huh, might not be much of a decision for you to make...I hear they are putting folks on the street. If you are going to a 135 on-demand job I'd make sure you get some hard days off.

Not thinking I want to go to a fractional, but thanks for speaking for me....that is likely not what most 135 pilots have in mind as a "dream" job. I've never been to the airlines and, unfortunately, it probably won't ever be in the plans. If it was it would be at a higher level than regional or I wouldn't be able to afford to make the cross over.

If you are going to make the jump make sure you check the company out well...there are a lot of bad 135 companies out there and that is definately not where you want to end up.

Good Luck

ksu_aviator said:
I know I personally would think a career should go from flight instructing to regional to 135 to career goal.

Depends what that career goal is.

I'd rather not ever fly part 121 or 135

I think most guys go 135 to avoid the regionals. Being a monkey, button pusher flying an RJ just doesnt appeal to a lot of the guys I work with, myself included. We may work harder, but the pay is better and the flying is a lot more fun. Becoming a button pusher is for later on in the career when we've gotten tired of actually flying for a living.

I did what your thinking about doing with the exception of my regional went out of business. LOVE IT!! Best flying I've ever done. I commute 5 minutes to work and the pay is soooooo much better. After six months I made $20k more annually than I did after 5 years at Flyi and I'm not even a capt yet.

I got hired at Netjets and turned them down for this gig.

Can't beat landing and being home minutes later. Well OK minutes after wiping down the plane. But it sure beats waiting for the next flight home or a 2 1/2 hour drive.

As a former freight dog turned corporate/air ambulance driver I wouldn't go to the regionals unless I had no choice. Too much work and time away from home for not enough pay. Even fracs are on the road too much. I want to see my kids grow up and be home for most if not all games, b-days, etc.

The corporate world is opening my eyes to a whole new kind of flying and I think I won't do anything else.

Latest resources

Back