Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

seethru

Works for a Living
I'm curious about the ram's horn design of the control yoke in the cockpit. It seems to be a unique design.

Do you like it or a more traditional control yoke?

The Ram's Horn combined with the sheepskin seat really makes you feel like you're back on the farm.

Every Hawker driver I know prefers the yoke design over standard ones once you get used to them. Embraers use the same ram's horn yokes I believe.

The Ram's Horn combined with the sheepskin seat really makes you feel like you're back on the farm.
Sheep lie! ;)

One of the nice things about the ram's horn yoke is that you don't have to twist your wrist into such uncomfortable positions for large aileron deflections. And when you fly as poorly as I do, large corrections are the order of the day.:laugh:

Fly safe!

David

Plus you can make cool sounds and pretend you are riding a really fast motorcycle

I flown both the Hawker and Embraer and much prefer the ram's horn to a conventional yoke. It is a much more ergonomic position for your hands. The Embraer has a better design with the large end caps, which allows for better control in heavy crosswinds. The Hawker, as I remember, has lighter control forces and didn't need them as much as the Embraer does.

The E-120 has the ram's horn yoke, and ridiculously heavy ailerons. I'm still newish to the airplane, but currently hate the yoke. When making modest aileron inputs your hand is perpendicular to the axis. either pulling and sliding off the shaft or pushing and sliding up the shaft. Admittedly, I think my displeasure stems more from the control forces than the yoke design. It does make a good handrest, if you're designing handrests. Ask me in a few more months.

Peter Garrison had an article way back that analyzed control forces, and discussed harmony, noting that designers looked for a 1:2:3 ratio, with Aileron lightest, followed by a twice as heavy elevator, followed by rudders that requried three times the force. This thing is more like 3:2:1. With an immovable roll axis and a spasmodic rudder....But I digress.

Latest resources

Back