Question for Veteran Netjets Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Bertie Wooster

I am a new Pilot with Netjets and have just got done with IOE.

I am about to move and was wondering about the 100 mile rule.

Do I have to live within 100 miles "straight line" distance or is it 100 miles as per Mapquest.

Thanks in advance for your help

That is a can of worms but here are some points. Mapquest is not in the contract.

Is it 100nm or statue. Is it direct line or by the road. Mapquest is based on easiest directions. My friend lives 125 miles on mapquest but only a 100 when he drives it.

What you really want to make sure is you really live within 3hrs of the airport.

The 100 mile rule and 3 hrs was put in to make sure guys didn't use kord as a gateway 100 miles across the lake but 6 hrs from the gateway.

Sorry to answer a question with a question. Pm me with further details and info.

This one has been hacked around the Net Jets Pilots' message board a fair amount.....The above answer from my colleague about sums it up.

Ty to be close to that 100 miles on Mapquest 'cause it appears that that is what is used/////Don't be late for work or miss an airline flight and you should be OK.

There are guys that live well beyond the 100miles.....some make sure they are within the 100 miles by 12:01 of their first duty day.....others take a risk.........I wouldn't be doing the latter personally...mine just aren't that big.....

it's 100sm (straight line) AND 3 hours.

for example - when mdw was opened (before dtw opened) a guy wanted to live in tvc. well within the 100sm but much longer than 3 hours drive time. he had to commute to a point that was within the 3hr limit AND 100 miles.
likewise, around metro new york, you'll be within 100 miles of teb most everywhere, but from way out on long island it'll be more than 3hrs drive, so you'd have to commute to a closer place.

you don't have to physically go to the gateway - you can stay at a cheap place that's 99 miles away.

mapquest is not in the contract, so it can't be used. it's straight line distance.

also, NEVER refuse a briefing (as long as it's a safe briefing). if a screen reader calls and gives you an a/l in an hour, you say "I'LL DO THE BEST I CAN". NEVER REFUSE!!! NEVER tell them it's impossible. "I'LL DO THE BEST I CAN" is the only acceptable repsonse. if you refuse the brief, your a/l will be changed to direct cmh for a disciplinary mtg. If you follow this, and you're within the 100 mile/3hr limits, they can't punish you for missing a flight. you simple call when you arrive and say you missed the flight.

if you're stuck in traffic, a courtesy call is appropriate. also, all driving is based on the legal speed limits in normal traffic.

I guess I'm in kinda a grey area or I'm just a stupid newbie and what your saying is not sinking in. I live in Sarasota Fl and my gateway is MCO. Straight line distance I am within 100 miles. By Mapquest it is 120 miles my house to the airport. Mapquest places the route at 2hr 15min. Which you can definately do faster. Am I OK where I am or do I have to consider another option.

STOP LAUGHING AT ME!!!!:eek:

forget mapquest. it means nothing. the contract reads "within 100 miles of broad and high" that's downtown cmh - when cmh was the only domicile. when the gateway language was written, the 100 miles is now interpreted as from the gateway to wherever you are staying.

make sure you're within 100 straightline miles of your gateway.

a pilot was fired in the past year for not being within 100 miles and missing his flight. he took the language to mean (his own interpretation) he could be 175 miles away because he could drive the distance in 3 hours. he drove 80+mph on the freeway to do this, and assumed no traffic.

just make sure you're within 100 miles, AND can drive that 100 miles in three hours or less using normal speeds.

Latest resources

Back