• Start date
  • Watchers 17

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why does this stupid discussion keep coming up? There are great former mil. and civ. guys to fly with as there are douchbags from each side. Imho, it has more to do with personality than background. But I will throw this fuel on the fire. Navy guys seem the most fun and relaxed with Air Force Academy being the more nitnoidy. It was explained to me buy a couple of Naval Academy grads I just flew with that the Navy guys look at the rule book and say if it does not say we can't we can whereas the AF boys say if it does not say we can we can't. Anyway as a civilian, I do think some of us get a chip. Remember, just get your seniority number and it does not matter. I have a former Thunderbird and Blue Angel that will always be junior to me, but both are great guys.

I hope you see my point. By stating our "resume" by saying how many years we have served or how many hours we have, we are trying to give you an idea of the level of experience we have.

I understand you point completely and did when you originally posted. I really didn't think much of it because I have an understanding of how the military works as far as commitments and flight time. I only posted because you seemed not to understand why someone might question a military guy "posting his resume".

There is definitely a perception by some that military guys feel superior to civilians in this industry. Additionally, I suspect most on this site understand (at least basically) the military career and don't need to be reminded why someone in the military is applying to majors (because you can and it makes a whole lot of sense).

Forgive me for posting the joke three times. I had hoped most have heard it (I still suspect they have). What I didn't say is you could tell the same joke about any pilot and it would be equally valid. I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't want to be stereotyped because I don't feel I fit that mold and suspect most guys (girls) don't either. I don't think C17 Driver is the stereotypical 'military pilot', but he risks being perceived as one by "posting his resume", so to speak.

Plus, this is an interesting conversation, though I think all that can be said has already.

Plus, this is an interesting conversation, though I think all that can be said has already.
How about "everyone STFU and move on"...?

Just kidding... kinda... we really need that dead horse emoticon.

There are tools in every profession and from every walk of life prior to the airline world. There are also great guys and gals. I think we can just leave it at that, since no one really meant any disrespect,,,

Wasn't aware that I was "tallking down to you" when I said I had 10 years of service. Wasn't aware that my words were salt in the wound. Wasn't aware that you risked your life as well. I said earlier that I wasn't going to get into a pissing contest about it. Someone else will take the bait on your post, but not me.

Good on you for your aviation credentials. I do not judge and refuse to judge my self-worth by comparing my situation to yours and others like you so please don't assume that I am trying to compete with anyone. Read my previous post regarding why we offer a glimpse at our backgrounds.

You're kidding... right.... about the stereotype response? That joke that Drew Blows offered up is so old an I treated it like the hanging curveball that it was and I happened to be the first one to hit. I have trouble believing you took it seriously. If you did, it might be a classic case of confirmation bias.

I am honestly trying to be cordial and gentlemanly here and if I am not, please let me know. I admit, that I didn't take the high road on the wife joke, but it seems that most of you saw the intended sarcasm. I would venture to guess that some non-mil types saw it as funny as well.

Mr. Pennekamp. For the Record: I do not see you as inferior. I do not look down on your career path. I respect that you likely worked your butt off and invested lots of personal time and money to get where you are. I too would get the daggers out if someone berated me for their perceived lack of respect and I would try to set the record straight. I simply don't see (other than the wife comment...see above regarding intended sarcasm) where anywhere in my posts where I was wearing my credentials on my sleeve.

Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss this further.

C-17,
Thanks for the polite, professional response.

I did see the sarcasm in your wife comment. As you said, you gave me the hanging curve ball and I took a swing.

I'll agree that your original post wasn't that bad. I re-read it and agree you weren't really reading resumes or talking down to anyone. It just reminded me of the issue, pushed that "mil guy talking down to me" button, and I used you to make a point about how MANY (not all) military pilots act and how it affects us. Really wasn't even part of this thread.

I think the point has been made and the horse has been beaten to death. Thanks for the lively discussion, no ill will intended. :beer:

Cobraair75drvr;1390616It was explained to me buy a couple of Naval Academy grads I just flew with that the Navy guys look at the rule book and say if it does not say we can't we can whereas the AF boys say if it does not say we can we can't. [/quote said:
Cobraair,
Thanks for the navy endorsement. Seriously. However, I think you may have typoed your quote. Navy guys look to see if their is a rule that says they can't do something. No rule, go do it. Air Force guys look to see if there is a rule that says they can do something. But, what do I know, that is probably just a stereotype we created.

Edit. Nevermind. You had it right. But without commas that sentence hurts my eyes.

Latest resources

Back