Question for the UPS folk

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mr Hat

I have two Captains willing to write me letters when UPS starts hiring again, in the past, how much weight has UPS placed on internal recs?
The second question is that I used to work for UPS in the unload for 2 years about 12 years ago...do they keep employee records that long? I was a fine employee and I quit on my own accord (mainly due to the stress on my back) but I did have a conflict or two with old managers....the unload was a very different environment...more drill instructor like...and I was 18 and full of testosterone....I haven't had a conflict with anyone at work (aviation or otherwise) since. I just don't know what would be in a file.

PS, I didn't knock anyone out or anything, just loud disagreements. I doubt it was even documented as I was never formally disciplined over it. We used to scream at eachother all the time in that place...sometimes I think it was more for fun. It was a fun job albeit a very tough on on the back.

Pilot recommendations are almost a must for them to even look at your application.

Make sure you note on your cover letter and/or resume that you used to work for the company. I did when I was in college and put it on my application and they noticed that. I think it is a big thing.

Good Luck

Will an FE written be needed to apply, or just to attend class?Thanks

Mr. Hat,
Pilot rec's definitely help. They don't gurantee an interview by any means, but they should put you head and shoulders above the rest of the applicants who don't have one. Also, mentioning that you worked here at one time will also look good.

Bra,
When I was hired the FE Written was required to apply. To the best of my knowledge, it is still required.

Good luck to both of you. Hopefully we will hang the help wanted sign in the window soon.

Ha! I am proud to say that I didn't just work at UPS, I survived UPS. The unload was a line of trucks the company MAR (Minimum acceptable rate) of packages coming out of the truck was an average of 1400 packages an hour...each box weighed an average of 50lbs. Basically it was grab, flip (lables up), throw, grab , flip throw all night long. Most people hired to our unload lasted about 2 weeks and I am proud to have done it for 2 years. Best shape in my life back then I tell ya. Even at the grunt level, UPS was a great company to work for so long as you could handle the drill sgts. who stood at the end of your truck screaming at you "COME ON (Insert last name here) PICK IT UP YOU PU$$Y, LETS GO LETS GO!!!" Chances are though, if you were someone who couldn't handle someone yelling at you constantly, you were one of the guys who came in and quit two weeks later. I was 18 then, 30 now, I doubt I could do it again. But it was fun.

In fact, That was the first time I used my union to my advantage. Most people didn't read their contract, I did. I had a supervisor try to give me a disciplin report for missing work during a snow storm...He refused to let it go so half way through the night I stopped working, walked out of my truck and stood by an open door. He came by and demanded to know what I was doing. "Well sir, being that we are going to play by the rules now, I am taking my 15 minute break as per our contract" He called the shop stewart over, they read the contract and found out I was right. My report was promptly dropped for fear that everyone would want a 15 minute break. Ahhh the days.
Honestly, I really wasn't looking at the cargo companies...I enjoy passengers. But with the passenger airline industry the way it is and the fact that I really liked UPS when I worked there before. I think it is a goal..plus with my two Captain friends I'd be an idiot to pass that up. Good luck to all!

Enough spinning yards, back to the business of helping people with hiring info. Sorry for the thread drift.
Cheers

"COME ON (Insert last name here) PICK IT UP YOU PU$$Y, LETS GO LETS GO!!!"

I've been at UPS since 1990 and I've heard stories of boxheads treating pilots like that in the early days. Things have moderated a lot over the years and I've never had anything like that happen to me. I think they figured out stuff like that didn't work with pilots and didn't help their cause.

Latest resources

Back