Question for Skywest and Mesa Dash-8

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

NJAowner

I recently few on a few Dash-8 flights and noticed that my planes and others at DEN had a piece of the fuselage replaced and riveted on at about the section of the fuselage lining up where the propellers are. I also noticed this on many of the planes at DEN. What was the issue?

Thanks.

I think you are describing the kevlar pads that are installed on the fuselage in the propellor arc of the dhc8. This is intended to provide additional protection to the fuselage when ice is being shed from the props. Sometimes you'll notice those same pieces have areas of paint chipping away from the ice chunks hitting them as well.

Yep -- our Beech 1900's at my previous company had similar shielding to protect it from the ice. It sometimes makes quite a racket when it comes off, too!

Exactly. You will see more paint coming off the left kevlar plate than the right do to the rotation of the blades. (clockwise) I don't know why they paint these things anyway. Just leave them without paint, and it sure would look better. The paint pealing off all over the place is not a pretty sight. I am asked multiple times-mostly from ASE passengers "why is there paint missing from that section of the plane?" I tell them why-and they just give me a look. I smile back and tell them to enjoy their flight!

Ding Dong! Pilots - Yo, whats up? Flight Attendant - Someone or something is beating on the side of the plane!
Never fails with the new FA's...

I am asked multiple times-mostly from ASE passengers "why is there paint missing from that section of the plane?" I tell them why-and they just give me a look. I smile back and tell them to enjoy their flight!

Get creative with your answers. Tell them that it's actually an old quarter pannel off a 1972 Chrysler New Yorker, and since it's actually a car part, the FAA doesn't all aviation paint the car parts that are used on the airplane. It's a way to help the mechanics tell the difference between the two.

You imagine what they would be thinking every time they saw an airplane with patches or multi paint schemes on it?

"It's used to deflect propeller parts when we hit jet bridges.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Just tell the pax it's reinforced steel for if the propeller comes off and tries to cut through the fuselage.

Just tell the pax it's reinforced steel for if the propeller comes off and tries to cut through the fuselage.

"If it makes it through the fuselage, usually the first person it hits will stop it. If not, the second body ALWAYS stops it. It's an acceptable limitation signed off by the FAA.......what seat are you in again?"

Latest resources

Back