Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Question for Scenic guys or any other tour op...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

amcnd

I flew there for 3 years back in the early 90's, and got about 50 hours IMC in 3 years. Didn't hurt me a bit getting on with anyone. Most went to SkyWest,Eagle..ect but some went straight to UAL,TWA,AWA.

IFR Time

This week I've got about six hours. It's very hit and miss. If it's IFR were in it most of the time since we cruse @ 10,000 and 11,000. Scenic is not great for IFR time. However, it's great for most other things. It's hard to sell tickets to see the canyon, if you can't see the canyon. As for looking down on us, I don't think so. Even though it's VFR most of the time, it's still 121 turbine time working with a crew. If you have 1200 hours or more Scenic might not be the best move. If you have 600 hours it's a pretty good move.

Last edited:
Bristol,

Flying those canyon runs get boring after awhile? I'm sure there are ways to keep things interesting.... I heard a lot of Scenic guys instruct on time off or in the off season? Are there a lot of instructing opportunities out there?

Thanks

boring after awhile?

Yes and no. The otter is fun to fly. However, it's a hard plan to land in a crosswind. The STOL wing and huge rainbow rudder teach you how to land in a crosswind. As for CFIing on the side, not sure. None of my friends at work do it.

Scenic for most is a stepping stone position but when you get to that point of advancing the career, do companies look down upon all that VFR SIC time or even PIC VFR? I guess my next question is, how much IFR do you guys do?

Latest resources

Back