Question for pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

afar1

Why is it that no one addresses the after hire process and the pitfalls of a 3 or 4 week fire drill training program designed around 3000 hour turbine pilots and the high rate of failure in the sim check.
The majority of pilots wash out in the oral or the sim check and that is never addressed by anyone.
Just curious?

4 posts - and all are the same question. Lighten up - - relax - - wait for someone to answer on the FIRST one before you go posting the same dad-blurned thang a gazillian times !

:)

I posted it 4 times to get to 4 different forums and as many viewers as possible.
Has nothing to do with patience my friend

What do you consider a high failure rate? Which airlines have a high failure rate in the sim?

When I worked for AmEagle a few years back, 2 out of 24 (12 Saab, 12 ATR) didn't make it, not exactly a majority. If you had trouble, learn from it and move on. Airlines are not going to change their training for a few. You can expect a 5-10% failure rate at the regional level. Those who cannot pass should either study harder, seek help from classmates, or choose another career.

You probably won't get any sympathy on this board.

I have only seen two guys fail in all the training I've been to so far. One obviously padded his log book and the instructor sent his lying a$$ home after 3 flights. The other just psyched himself out. The instructors REPEATEDLY offered extra time after class so he could get through but he chose not to take them up on it. That these two were there is more a function of the selection/hiring process and not the training program.

No sympathy from me either.

Most training programs that I have been involved with, at the regional, national and major airline level, have all had one goal in mind. Get the guys through the program. Sure, the guys that show up prepared and motivated stand the best chance of success, but every program is designed to provide additional training, if necessary, to bring everyone up to speed.

I have had experience in PC/PT based programs, and currently work in an AQP program. The instructors are there to provide you with the necessary tools to successfully complete the program, but you must put forth the effort, and show up prepared at each lesson.

In a PC/PT based program, the oral and the checkride are the "evaluation" events, so naturally, that't the phase that guys who are not going to make it wash out. In AQP, there are various "gate" events which you must successfully negotiate to be recommended to continue to the next phase of the program. If there is a weakness detected at these 'gate" events, then extra training is scheculed until the student is deemed proficient to move on to the next phase.

As a long time instructor, check airman and evaluator, I have seen my share of failures, and the students invariably find someone or something to blame for their shortcomings instead of taking responsiblity for their own lack of preparation or attitude. A self check would most likely be in order in these cases to see what they could have done to better prepare themselves.

Sure, these programs are challenging and require a great deal of effort on the part of the student, but the are by no means designed to set you up for failure. Quite the contrary, they are set up to give you every opportunity to excel.

A positive attitude will take you a long way. Guys I've seen fail are guys that either had a bad attitude or stopped trying and therefore stopped learning.

As long as you maintain a positive learning curve and good attitude you won’t wash out.

Latest resources

Back