Question for pilots who fly International frequently

your_dreamguy

Total Time
Just wondering what you do for contacting and phoning home. When I'm overseas, I try to find an internet cafe with Instant Messengers such as Skype and computers equipped with headsets. Then I can talk live to someone in another part of the world. Also, I bought a European mobile phone and I purchase a sim card and place it my European mobile. What do you guys do? Has anyone tried using majicjack overseas (majicjack.com)? Does Majicjack work overseas? I've been seeing a lot of Majicjack ads on TV lately. Finally, has anyone purchased a mobal GSM phone (www.mobal.com/nwa22) ? If so, please give details on how the phone works, costs, etc.?
Hope to hear your responses.

Full of LUV

Total Time
use tmobile

Just wondering what you do for contacting and phoning home. When I'm overseas, I try to find an internet cafe with Instant Messengers such as Skype and computers equipped with headsets. Then I can talk live to someone in another part of the world. Also, I bought a European mobile phone and I purchase a sim card and place it my European mobile. What do you guys do? Has anyone tried using majicjack overseas (majicjack.com)? Does Majicjack work overseas? I've been seeing a lot of Majicjack ads on TV lately. Finally, has anyone purchased a mobal GSM phone (www.mobal.com/nwa22) ? If so, please give details on how the phone works, costs, etc.?
Hope to hear your responses.
I use tmobile with a blackberry. For 9.99 a month you can use the internet anywhere you can get wifi and make phone calls. Used it in Singapore, Japan, Europe, Australia. Works great if you will be near wi fi like a hotel or cafe etc. Best part is the phone calls are free when on the internet, even in the usa and you can even be called at your cell number if logged in.

avpro91

Total Time
7000+
Magicjack is awesome....best thing I ever bought. Works everywhere. Skype is great too. I have a ATT GSM phone and rarely use it over seas. Too expensive.

~~~^~~~

Total Time
7,500+

Last edited:

ForgedBlade

Total Time
10000+
Sim cards or calling cards are cheap if you don't drag your lap-top with you. You can normally get calling cards for $5-10 US and the rates back to the US are real cheap. Otherwise, in a pinch, it's $1/minute on T-Mobile or text messages work just fine.

Full of LUV

Total Time
It's free

Sim cards or calling cards are cheap if you don't drag your lap-top with you. You can normally get calling cards for $5-10 US and the rates back to the US are real cheap. Otherwise, in a pinch, it's $1/minute on T-Mobile or text messages work just fine.
If you use the "uma" feature on the tmobile phone, it's free, doesn't even count against your monthly minutes if you have a plan. Just need a wi fi connection and a phone that can access it.

your_dreamguy

Total Time
Avpro91,
I heard Majicjack can only be used to make calls to the USA and Canada. What about using Majicjack to call other countries such as the UK, France, etc.?

spitfire1500

Total Time
Enough

Draginass

Total Time
5000+
I always carry a computer with me so SKYPE is the normal way I call home. However, if you don't have a free or inexpensive internet connection at the hotel, I also bought a cheap used unlocked GSM phone off Ebay. I got a world-wide sim card ($25 plus airtime credit) from www.acetelecomstore.com that good just about anywhere in the world. Rates vary by country (65 cents/min in most of Europe, some incoming calls are free, and there's a 800 number that people in the US can call to get your GSM phone). If I can't use SKYPE, I just call home on the GSM phone using one minute of airtime (about 65 cents) and tell them to call me back at my hotel room using SKYPE on the home computer (2 cents/min). I have all the company hotels/cities preloaded in SKYPE so all they have to do is click on the icon and ask for the hotel room number. I carry the GSM phone around with me while overseas for essential/emergency calls.

I looked at that Mobal link and they look to me to be pretty expensive.

Last edited: