Question for Hawaiian Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Crandal

I was wondering where are in your opinion semi-afordable places to live in HNL. What part of the Oahu is good for the family. How are the schools there, I have three kids ages 9-7-3. Of course not planing to buy, but probably rent.

Thx for the info

I live on the North Shore and very much like the semi country lifestyle here.
However, starting fresh with a young family I would say look at Mililani. Good schools and conveniently located. Hawaii Kai would be another good option. Finally Kailua and Kaneohe are nice, however my sense is that the schools may not be quite as good.

Lived in Kanehoe Bay area 99-01. Our daughter attended Blue Ribbon award winning public elementary school - Akahi Elementary . . . went private after sixth grade . . .

You can rent good places Kanehoe/Kailua and travel on H-3 (great scenery . . waterfalls), vice the continual traffic on H-1/2

Winward side, but plan on private high school.....

I live on the North Shore and very much like the semi country lifestyle here.
However, starting fresh with a young family I would say look at Mililani. Good schools and conveniently located. Hawaii Kai would be another good option. Finally Kailua and Kaneohe are nice, however my sense is that the schools may not be quite as good.

Not a Hawaiian pilot, but do live in the 50th state. Commute to/from airport from hawaii kai would get very annoying, unless done before 6am or after 7pm.
Winward side, kailua/kaneohe is the place to live for family pace, schools are good until about 6th grade. Middle school a little sketchy, high school absolutely needs to be private unless your kids are going to remain on the islands and teach surfing. There seems to be a culture of low expectations from the public middle and high schools, but then again, there is not a lot of college level jobs on the island and most of the college students come from the private high schools.

Windward Side

Lived in paradise (Marine Corps Base Hawaii - Kaneohe Bay) from 94-97. Beautiful over there. All the comments on the schools are absolutely correct from what I remember. Check Kailua, then Kaneohe. Mililani west of Honolulu is good - probably up around Wheeler Army Air Field/Schofield Barracks would be nice too. Stay out of Pearl City unless it has changed in the last 10 years. I miss the evenings with the waves crashing on the beach and the trade-winds blowing through the palm trees. Just watch out for the geckos pooping on your dishes in the kitchen cabinets. I'd give a gonad to get back out there.

I was wondering where are in your opinion semi-afordable places to live in HNL. What part of the Oahu is good for the family. How are the schools there, I have three kids ages 9-7-3. Of course not planing to buy, but probably rent.

Thx for the info

http://www.greatschools.net/

Might be able to use this site to take a look at some of the school systems..........can't vouch for its accuracy

You may also try schooldigger.com. Same disclaimer applies.

Latest resources

Back