Question for former airline pilots now flying corporate

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flashbang

Any regrets? I know it's almost a no-brainer to leave just about any regional for just about any corporate gig, but I'm more interested about any legacy or LCC drivers who either left their airline gigs to pursue corporate flying opportunities, or were furloughed, got a corporate gig and never looked back.

It is not a no-brainer to leave just about any regional to go to just about any corporate gig. There are many regional jobs that are much better than a good number of corporate outfits. I left a regional but only because it was to a Fortune 10 company. Small corporate outfits are to be avoided due to job instability. If youre not happy, take the chance. I would never look back and have had offers from numerous airlines, including Southwest. Corporate is just for me.

Oh I looked back. Thought about it long and hard. Fought off a little bit of shiny jet syndrome and made my choice.

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.

Flashbang,

I was active 4.5 yrs at UAL (20% below me, FO A320/B727/B737); furloughed about 4 yrs. Just resigned my recall last month. ZERO regrets and no looking back. Love flying the corporate gig.

I'm know lots of people who enjoy being airline pilots; that's fine, but that was not for me.

I learned this from the experience:
"Life is too short to waste time on something you aren't passionate about."

Cheers and recommend you press with pride.

I miss the airlines alot, but I would never go back considering the job I have now. It seemed like I had two lives when I was at the airlines. I would go out on a four day and have a great time (usually) and when I began to miss home, the trip was over. Flying with all the different people was great and I made a few life long friends from it, but the B.S. just got to me. Airline pilots are an employee number and a necessary evil to management, while corporate pilots provide an invaluable tool to the company, from my experience. It was a very hard choice to make but I now look forward to overnights and my commute is 15 minutes. Good luck in your quest...

Let's see, 400 hours or so a year, clothing by a major preppy provider plus cleaning!! I left a fractional but it was a no brainer.
Did I forget, stock and money bonus? My place rocks as do many others who don't subscribe to a "shortage" or "SJS".
Demand what you are worth, the jobs are out there!!
Fly safe, Rum

You just have to be VERY careful when choosing a corporate department. Unlike the airlines, there is a huge disparity in the quality of management in corporate and that will rule your life.

There are a handful of really top notch big departments, some good F500 departments, some not so good and a handful that will make your life hell.

It seems to me that there are some really high quality smaller departments out there--you'll never fly "the big iron" or make that kind of money but your QOL will be awsome.

I will say that one thing I noticed about corporate is that few people stay at the same department for a long time. Either they get bought, go out of business or (in my case) the conditions change and what used to be a good deal isn't and you move on.

Both types of jobs offer certain attactive benefits and both have their drawbacks. It just depends on what you're looking for. Good luck. TC

I am very lucky, with the flight department that I work in. We have 52 pilots and 32 airplanes. The best thing with having the number of pilots that we have is all of the different backgrounds (Air force, Navy, Airlines, Corporate or other Civilian). I would say about a quarter of our guys are former Airline Pilots (most are from Major carriers, very few Regional). All of them have said to me that they have no desire to go back. The quality of life, and not having to commute is the biggest reason. As said before QOL is very important.

Either they get bought, go out of business or (in my case) the conditions change and what used to be a good deal isn't and you move on.

Hey TC what's up? Drop me a PM sometime. TF

As for leaving 121 for Corporate...I left to fly for a small part 91 company. What I thought was going to be a great small town gig became an on-call 135 job with poor QOL. Now I'm flying great equip. for a big company who puts a HIGH value on pilot QOL. I couldn't be happier and while I miss the great people I flew with, I don't miss the day to day BS that existed at my former 121 employer.

As others have said...there are LOTS of jobs out there in the part 91 world. Some good and some not. Gook luck!!

Treetop

Latest resources

Back