Question for Delta guys...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

snap145

hey guys...im just a lowly regional FO with a random question....ive noticed that the company is removing the "skywindows" above the windshield on the 800's..either closing them in or taking them out completley...why are they doing this and whats the advantage???????....again just curious...thanks in advance!

I work at CAL and the newer -800's are coming that way. they also have vortex generators just below the windshield wipers. All this makes the cockpit very quiet.

We're blocking them off at SWA as well. When the 737 was initially designed, it had to have these for certification because of visibility I believe. Now with TCAS and other technology, they are no longer needed. I asked a mechanic about them and he said they are more maintenance intensive than you would think so off they come!

We're blocking them off at SWA as well. When the 737 was initially designed, it had to have these for certification because of visibility I believe. Now with TCAS and other technology, they are no longer needed. I asked a mechanic about them and he said they are more maintenance intensive than you would think so off they come!

Had one shatter 1.5 years ago at FL370. Glad to see them going away!

Can't be too careful

A 727 Captain told me they were there so a "meteor watch" could be maintained. Sure enough, he would tilt his seat back on all-nighters and do his duty. We weren't hit by a single meteor.:cool:

Alaska's new 737's are coming out of the factory without the windows installed.

good riddens

I believe Boeing made the decision a couple years ago to eliminate them. No new 737s have them installed.

Its for fleet standardization (new NGs coming without them) and maintenance savings.

good observation though!

Latest resources

Back