Question for DAL pilots about medical

nwaredtail

Total Time
9000+
At NWA, pilots can use FMLA, ie 240 hours per year, if approved, to take care of family stuff, intermittant medical injuries/therapy. If using FMLA, nothing is counted as a sick call. After three "sick calls" in a year, we have to talk to a chief pilot , etc.

Does Delta have anything like that? Lets say, a pilot has to miss one day of work, three times in a month. Would that count as 3 sick calls and when does a chief pilot get involved? I have a back injury that acts up from time to time.

thanks

PuffDriver

Total Time
bunche
At NWA, pilots can use FMLA, ie 240 hours per year, if approved, to take care of family stuff, intermittant medical injuries/therapy. If using FMLA, nothing is counted as a sick call. After three "sick calls" in a year, we have to talk to a chief pilot , etc.

Does Delta have anything like that? Lets say, a pilot has to miss one day of work, three times in a month. Would that count as 3 sick calls and when does a chief pilot get involved? I have a back injury that acts up from time to time.

thanks
That would count as 3 sick calls. As far as I know, we are done with the "chief pilot intervention" thing, unless you are a true sick call junkie. You get 300 hrs per rolling 3 year period, and another bunch at less pay. If there is a circumstance that you need off and you just can't get it, a call to the chief pilots office usually gets it off. At least I have never been denied. I have seen the chief pilot get involved in cases where somebody literally called in sick every month of the year. I think my record was 7 sick calls in 1 year, and I never heard a thing. Of course, I have also had only 2 or 3 a year as well. FWIW

As for the glitz on the uniform, culture, I guess. Military history, except for that hat wearing indoor thing.

DAL737FO

Total Time
8000+
from the contract:

F. Verification of Sickness
1. The Company may require that a pilot verify his sickness by providing, at the Company’s option, either:
a. a doctor’s certificate, or
b. other proof of illness.
2. Under normal conditions, the Company will not require verification unless the pilot has been absent for more than seven consecutive days.​
3. A pilot is not required to state the nature of his sickness to Crew Scheduling. He may be required to describe his sickness in general terms to his Chief Pilot.

FDJ2

Total Time
10000+
from the contract:

2. Under normal conditions, the Company will not require verification unless the pilot has been absent for more than seven consecutive days.

I called in sick for two consecutive trips, a four day and a six day and never heard from the CPO.

I've never once been called by the CPO and I've never been shy about using my sick leave.​

767/757

Total Time
9,000+
I called in sick for two consecutive trips, a four day and a six day and never heard from the CPO.

I've never once been called by the CPO and I've never been shy about using my sick leave.[/left]

Use it if you need it - Do not fly sick.

FDJ2

Total Time
10000+
Use it if you need it - Do not fly sick.
100% correct. Beyond the obvious safety issues, it is a disservice to the company and the rest of the crew to show up sick and get everyone else sick.