Question for CFI's??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RichardRambone

Although it doesnt matter I was curious, when Im giving dual do I log the landings if I dont make em?? Also, I fly a lot of X-C's but I also fly a lot to nearby airports that are maybe 6- 30 miles away. Can I log this as X-C time or does the 50 NM thing apply. Im not sure if the 50NM was for training purposes or not. I also remember something about airport to airport is what you can log.

need to be sole manipulator of the controls to log the landings

I would only log flights >50nm as XC, even though the FARs state any flight to another airport is a XC.

RichardRambone said:
Although it doesnt matter I was curious, when Im giving dual do I log the landings if I dont make em??

You can log whatever you want, but the landings will only count for anything if you're the sole manipulator of the controls.

RichardRambone said:
Also, I fly a lot of X-C's but I also fly a lot to nearby airports that are maybe 6- 30 miles away. Can I log this as X-C time or does the 50 NM thing apply. Im not sure if the 50NM was for training purposes or not. I also remember something about airport to airport is what you can log.

It depends on what you want to use the X/C time for. If you are keeping track for another rating, then they have to be 50NM. If your meeting the requirements of 135 for example, then they all count. I created an extra column for "all X/C" and logged everything that landed at another airport, and reserved the stock X/C for >50 ones. The ATP certificate is different still, for that one you don't have to land, you just have to fly at least 50NM away from your departure point, but I ignored those since they made up such a small fraction of my time anyway.

The regs say that anything point to point can be considered x/c. However, if you are using the x/c time to acquire a rating, it must be over 50 nm. The point to point stuff is useful when trying to meet 135 IFR mins.

Thx a lot. Ill not log those landings I dont do. I guess Ill just keep logging only those X-C times that are over 50 NM since I already qualify for 135 that way.

Latest resources

Back