Question for C-141 guys...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Otto

I'm looking at transferring into a different reserve unit that flys 141's (my current unit flys 130's) and was wondering how much time I would need to be able to skip the CIQ and go right through the AC initial qual? I'm still a co-pilot and have yet to be upgraded to AC in the herc. I know if the new unit could send me through, I would still have to sit in the right seat for awhile but I only want to go through the school house once. I know everything is waiverable but I'm not holding my breath for that to happen. Also...I believe the school house (severely scaled back from Altus) is now at Wright Pat...is that true? Thanks a bunch for anyone with the info!

Otto,
Not sure if this is always the case, but the PIQ (direct to the left seat program) for the C-141 has historically been for previous "fixed-wing" aircraft commanders. Don't know your exact situation, but it seems the quickest way to do the PIQ class would be to upgrade to AC in the C-130 and then try for the -141. These days it seems all the 141 units are filled with guys like me trying to avoid converting to the C-17. Also, I don't know anything about the 141 schoolhouse being in Wright-Pat. Good luck!

Wright Patt is true

Flew 141s for 5 years at McGuire prior to current job in Pensacola. The last 141 flew out of Altus permanently. All school house training will be conducted in Wright Patterson, OH. Good luck!

Heavies

I was wondering how much flght time you heavy pilots are getting. I have my two year degree and getting ready to finish my 4 year and join ROTC. Any tips to help out with the process to get to flying status?

Thanks Guys

Flying time

Blue Team,
I would venture to say the average C-141 copilot gets about 500 hours per year when things are "normal". With that war thing going on these days, 800-900 hours per year and being gone much of the time is not for everybody. But I wouldn't concentrate on the C-141 too much. With the exception of McGuire, only the reserve and guard fly them, and they are supposed to be gone out of the AF inventory by end of 2005.
I imagine the C-17 guys fly about the same in hours. If you want to see the world, go to pilot training and go for a C-17. The AF has bet the future on this plane.

Latest resources

Back