• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Question for Army rotorheads

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am a former enlisted Marine (flight line mechanic on H-1s), with a four year degree, and am working with a reserve unit in Texas, so if I get selected, it will be the AH-64. Having the 8 years time in service will be a nice bump in pay. I would prefer to go to OCS, but if I get picked up for WOC, I will go with no complaints and a smile on my face. The entire Army thing is new to me, and I am having a hard time getting good gouge on the entire process. Anyone know of any websites with detailed and Current info? What are weekends like in WOC? Any liberty on Sundays?

As a 64 guy, go Warrant. You will fly much more, and will make PC much sooner. Many LT's are staying as CPG (co pilot gunner, aka front seat guy).

For me, I like flying, and don't want command. That's what being a Warrant is all about. Things are changing, and we are having more responsibilities, etc, but you WILL fly more, and have alot less administrative things to be concerned with.

Weekends at WOCS are about doing details. You have class projects sometims (carwashes for fund raisers, etc). Sundays you have details as well, but you do have time to go to Church and take care of personal business. Don't worry about WOCS. It's a small price to pay for the rewards, and you don't have to put up with as much than if you went OCS. It's shorter, too. The pay is not that far off, either.

With prior service Marines, I say go for it. A good friend of mine was Force Recon in Japan in the Marines, and he came here to be a warrant. I went through flight school with him. PM me if you want his info.

Army Captain (helo)

Good advice from weekend warrior,

I am in Iraq as we speak. I can tell you that all army assets are flying, so which ever "aircraft" you are assigned, you will get extensive flight time...

As a commissioned officer, I have more desk time than I do flight time.... If flying is in your blood, as is mine, go warrant... Your opportunities are far greater.... I will revert to CW2 after the deployment so I can fly more...

Good Luck

walmartwannabe, you wouldn't happen to work for Eagle in another life, would you?

Military.com

There is a discussion board on Military.com that has a lot of good info.

Steve

Anyone here trying for the July board?

Hi BoilerUp!

Go to APTAP.org

(Army Pilots to Airline Pilots).

THey have lots of resources for rotor heads.

Cliff
DTW

Captflyright,

I went through WOFT just before Desert Shield and the only eye waivers were for the lewies. It was a BIG discriminator for WOs. I almost did not make it because of that.

I think i saw it posted but www.aptap.org has good gouge for guys trying to get in.

Good luck to all trying to Go Army!

capnflyright said:
Since the Army is allowing waivers for age are they allowing any medical waivers for vision?

Yes, they are. It is a LASIK program. You pay for the LASIK, then go through some testing. As long as you are correctable to 20/20 after your LASIK, then you can qualify for the program. Be sure you research through USARRL first. (US Army Aeromedical Research Laboratory). There are specific requirements to before and after surgury. I think you can not astigmatism before you get your surgery. I haven't been through the program, but know a few guys who did.

The wait period used to be for a year after surgery, but it's been shortened to just a few months now. It is becoming more accepted as time has gone on. Again, do your homework before you get the surgery.

Latest resources

Back