• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Question for an ATL Controler

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Atlpilot and others, help!!! I've been flying/based out of ATL for the last 21 years, flying both turboprops and jets. In 21 years, I've never had any problem, confusion or misunderstanding as to when I should turn. Until I read these posts I never knew it was so complicated!!! Obviously I've been doing something wrong (obvious sacarsm)!!

Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill!! Jeez!

Many, many years ago, I had a old retired USAF pilot as a instructor. His favorite saying was "when all else fails, just use common sense". Guess thats no longer in fashion.

Ok, nice info...well sort of...WHAT DO YOU DO ?? :erm:

Ok, nice info...well sort of...WHAT DO YOU DO ?? :erm:

If they tell me to turn at the middle marker I turn at the middle marker. Absent any other instuctions to the contrary I normally turn around 400 to 500 feet.

Measure with a micrometer then hit it with a sledge hammer!

It's always the same. My favorite is when the landing weight is right on the line to change landing speeds and the PM asks "which do you want?" It's one or two knots difference, I'm not that good!:laugh: At least they are paying attention.

Atlpilot and others, help!!! I've been flying/based out of ATL for the last 21 years, flying both turboprops and jets. In 21 years, I've never had any problem, confusion or misunderstanding as to when I should turn. Until I read these posts I never knew it was so complicated!!! Obviously I've been doing something wrong (obvious sacarsm)!!

Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill!! Jeez!

Many, many years ago, I had a old retired USAF pilot as a instructor. His favorite saying was "when all else fails, just use common sense". Guess thats no longer in fashion.

All of these idiots that are overthinking this also suffer from RACS - Regional Airline Captain Syndrome. GET OVER IT !!!!!! It is not a big deal !!!!!! This kind of overthinking and overengineering does get people violated because they end up not seeing the forest for the trees and they dont comply with the clearance all together! Guys and Gals, we are all aviation professionals here. Just FLY your airplane !! Be safe

It's all a mute point now if you have RNAV. Unless your a/c is not designated, all departures at The ATL are now RNAV.

Remember, it's the pilot who gets the violation.

Controllers get also violated by the same Air Safety Inspectors if you didn't know.

When you say the verb Turn, you're not just "repeating the heading" nor are you "reinforcing" the prior clearance.

Who cares whether it's "reinforcing" or "repeating"? It's an instruction.
You're just confusing everyone with your silly overcomplicated comments.

Last edited:
I got a question for you Atlanta controllers. The approach controller with the strange foreign accent, where is he from? I've always wanted to know but felt like it would be rude and/or irrelevant to ask him. Is it Dutch or something?

I got a question for you Atlanta controllers. The approach controller with the strange foreign accent, where is he from? I've always wanted to know but felt like it would be rude and/or irrelevant to ask him. Is it Dutch or something?

Someone told me he is Casian, or from Louisiana. I don't know if that's true.

Latest resources

Back