Question for Airnet guys

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

groundpointsix

What specifically do you guys have that permits you to make the SIC required in the baron? Is there a specific ops spec that authorize it or is it a letter of authorization? Something else?

The reason I ask is that at my company we give SIC checks to our flight instructors so they can get experience in the C414 and build time. Our ops specs only contain the "SIC may be used in lieu of an autopilot." Of course the airplane has a working autopilot, thus making the SIC pretty much a glorified passenger.

Our D.O. contends this is legal SIC time and we can log it as such (even though he's willing to send a trip without an SIC if weights required it), but most of us read it differently. Just trying to figure out how you guys do it so that I can suggest to the D.O. to pursue that route. We operate the 414 in passenger service if it makes a difference.

Thanks

From the Airnet website......Logging SIC/PIC time: here's how

Q: How does an SIC log flight time in a high-performance piston twin?
AirNet’s SIC program is alive and well!! Make sure and apply when you hit 500 hours and update monthly!! See the articles in the ALPC magazine dated Nov. '98 and Dec. '99 using the links in this site.

Last edited:
Your boss is kinda correct...

First off, they do have a letter from the FAA stating that it is legal "as long as the SIC is assigned by the Chief Pilot to that run." Tha quotes is the important part. Once the Chief Pilot "assigns" a pilot to a run they are obligated to be there and therefore are a required crew member.

Second, the reg containing the autopilot is for pax carrying only. Now, it does say in lieu of an autopilot, and yes the autopilot can be working, so the sic is legal. Now i would believe that in this case, the autopilot MUST be left off and not used, or if it is then the time spent with the autopilot on would then be unlogable by the sic because he is no longer needed with the autopilot engaged. Once the a/p is turned off then he can begin logging again. In all reality, it is a grey rule in the book, as are many of them, so interpretation is left up to the user, and you could always check with your local FSDO or your FAA company rep (POI).

Thanks for both your answers.

Starchckr-- just to clarify something you said in your post about the letter of authorization, is that letter something that appears in your op specs? Or is it just something tucked away in the chief pilots' desk somewhere? I ask so that I can double check and make sure we don't in fact have something filed away before I talk to the D.O.

Thanks again.

groundpointsix said:
Thanks for both your answers.

Starchckr-- just to clarify something you said in your post about the letter of authorization, is that letter something that appears in your op specs? Or is it just something tucked away in the chief pilots' desk somewhere? I ask so that I can double check and make sure we don't in fact have something filed away before I talk to the D.O.

Thanks again.
FAA approved ops specs.
Sorry to beat you to the punch Starchckr.
WDR11

Latest resources

Back