Question for 747, or other long range pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

hawkerjet

I've got a question for any of the long range international airline pilots out there. I am planning a move to China and would be bringing along the wife and kids and pets. The people are no problem, but what about my animals?
Is it safe to put my dog and cat in a kennel and put them in the belly of a pax airliner? I understand the importance of lining the kennel carrier with soft and warm blankets, and making sure they both do their duty before flight, but how safe is it? I know it's going to be over 11 hours in that belly and it gets pretty cold.
I guess my question should be directed at those of you that have transported pets in the past over a long range. Your insight would be most appreciated.
Thanx in advance...

Each aircraft is different but the belly where the animals will travel is heated (approx 70F) and pressurized. They are as safe down in the pit as you will be sitting on top of them. I believe mx even leaves the light on for them when carrying animals ... a nice little Motel 6 touch.

barbarian4 said:
They'll be safer in the cargo hold than they will in China.

Have you even checked to see if China will let them in? There may be a quarentine period for up to 1 year. Yep, 1 year.

We have hauled 4 cats all over the world for 16 years. The two oldest are 15 and have both done 2 transpacs, 3 translants & 1 transcon!

Get an airline approved cage from Petco or Petsmart. Make sure they have water for the flight. We usually feed them 2-3 hrs before t/o and give them minimal food for the flight.

Pack clean replacement bedding for the cage in your checked baggage. They will probably wet on it and it is just easier to throw it away and use the new bedding after you clean them up. Also pack baby wipes for the animals and bleach wipes for the cage.

Finally, pack food for both, plastic bowls, a new (clean) litter pan & liners and a small bag of litter in your checked baggage. That way as soon as you get to the hotel or appartment you can set up the cat, take the dog out and then let them eat. Also make sure you have all their records and required ppwrk handy and pack that in your carry on baggage.

Best of luck!
VVJM265

Last edited:
hawkerjet,
No problem. I hope everything goes well. A move is always a major effort regardless if it is down the street or halfway across the world. The Navy did both types to us! Good luck!

Latest resources

Back