Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Cornelius

Where's Pancakes House
Why does it always look like 737s taxi at an angle to the taxi line. It looks like the nosewheel is off center or something when I'm behind you guys. I know the aircraft is supposed to be like that, but Im just wondering why. Does it look like your at an angle from the flight deck, cuz that would make things a little strange during landing if you're not used to it.

Thanks

With the engine cowlings so close to the ground the aircraft has, I believe, a 5 degree bank limit on crosswind landings. So the landing gear are designed to land with a crab angle on crosswind landings. The main gear will stay in that position on taxi until the next landing, when they get straightened out.

w8n4swa said:
With the engine cowlings so close to the ground the aircraft has, I believe, a 5 degree bank limit on crosswind landings. So the landing gear are designed to land with a crab angle on crosswind landings. The main gear will stay in that position on taxi until the next landing, when they get straightened out.

As a SWA pilot, which I assume you may be... You MUST have a thorough knowledge of the B737... However, I am questioning that last line about the gear staying on an angle after a X-wind landing... Never heard or read anything to that effect. I've done lots of X-wind landings with a good side-slip going and never scraped and engine... That's why the engine cowls are shaped the way they are... I am aware, however, that the gear is designed to withstand the stress of a crabbed landing in the event the X-wind is too strong. As far as taxiing along at an angle?... Well that's another new one on me...

Well you learn something every day... I did some research... according to a B737 driver/mechanic I spoke to... the landing gear on the B737 will stay "cock-eyed" after a crabbed-in landing until the next time the struts fully extend, which would be on the next takeoff prior to gear retraction. At that point the "internal centering device" would straighten the gear out. Makes sence.

BigFlyr,

I flew for Midway and now awaiting a class at SWA. It'll be a year this september since I flew the 737...begining to get stale. Thanks for the refresher...I forgot the gear straightened out after full extension. Makes "sense" to me, too.

W8n4swa:cool:

Latest resources

Back