• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Question Dignity and Respect?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I do but they preach all this dignity and respect BS at my company. They no show on pilot's last (retirement flights) etc, it's not me personally but all of us as a whole it's very hollow.

I do a professional job and will continue to do so but it is still a slap in the face nothing more nothing less.

Geee.....all this time, the captains at my company said it's only like this at UPS.

:rolleyes:

I can't wait for my "20 year university". At my company they send you to Washington for an official ceremony on the floor of the Senate. After the ceremony there is a meet and greet with the President in the Oval Office and a photo op with the president and the New York Yankees.

I guess you may have been slighted.

I already got the photo with the New York Yankees when I flew them last week. So I guess I wasn't slighted at all because I don't really care for the photo with Bush.:)

At ASA when they had their 30 year anniversary of the company they invited all the surviving original pilots to a dinner with the head shed geniuses.

Right as they sat down to dinner one of the captains had his beeper go off - he was drafted for a trip, and you couldn't turn down scheduling at ASA.

As he got up to leave, the chief pilot pulled him aside and told him to stop at Wendy's on the way, and just expense it to the company.....

Congrats on the 20 year anniverary. I think most of us would still like to spend that amount of time with one company. I says a lot about you. Given what this industry has morphed to I wouldnt think twice about the pin and how it was delivered. If you are proud of your job and how you conduct yourself a pin will never be validation. A little corny, maybe, but an accomplishment nonetheless.

Agreed.

I wouldn't think anything of it because I've given up on wanting to be treated like gold. I just don't give a crap anymore....just give me my paycheck and a job until retirement and I will be happy. Anything more is above and beyond in my book. Sad but true.

Same here..... I learned a long time ago to take what I call "The Jerry McGuire Approach" to this so-called "career" of mine. You know; "Show me the money!!" Unfortunately,I'm still waiting....;)

PHXFLYR:cool:

I think that you've every right to feel slighted. It doesn't take alot to go out and shake a person's hand, thank him/her for their service and even take them to lunch. My wife's last 2 places of employment made this a regular way of staying in touch with the employees and atleast making them feel that someone actually gave a sh!t about their career.

This industry has become a dumping ground for a$$hole executives and inept mngt, who discourage awareness of employee's lives/concerns.

Question Dignity and Respect?

Is it me or do I have a right to feel slighted and once again slapped in the face by the company?

April 13 was my twenty year university with Continental. A week or so ago I had a form letter in my v-file stating how great an employee I was and how I was to be recognized for my hard word etc etc etc and to come in to the office to pick up my twenty year pin, and at the bottom it was wasn't signed but in a females hand writing the name ROB (my assistant chief pilot) was neatly printed where the letter should have been signed. I know Rob XXXX is in training but you mean to tell me one of the other assistants or base chief pilot couldn't sign the letter?

Then on Thursday I went in to the Chief Pilots office to pick up my pin. I asked one of the secretaries about my pin, with food in her month she motioned to me to wait while she washed her hands. She then when into Rob's office found the box and handed it to me and congratulated me on my service. Not that I don't appreciate the EWR CPO office staff but was this a totally classless act and slap in the face or is it just me?

I was pretty upset when it happened and I just left the office but at least one assistant chief pilot and the base Chief Pilot were both in their offices.

I think you're overreacting. Do you have any idea how long your Chief Pilot or ACPs have been on the job? Any idea how long that secretary has been on the job? Or the rest of the office staff? Probably not. Why should they worry too much about you? Would you rather her have not washed her hands before getting your pin? She thanked you for your service, what else did you want from her? Any idea how her day was going? How is her getting your pin for you, with freshly washed hands, and thanking you for your service a classless act and a slap in the face? Get over yourself. Like someone else said on this thread, did you get your paycheck this month? Let it go. If you can go home at the end of the day and your wife, kids, friends, and a few close co-workers thank you for your service (for which you were paid for) then consider yourself lucky.

How many people on this board have been airline pilots for twenty years? How many of those would have reached their twenty year anniversary with company number one if not for crappy luck? I would venture to say that the numbers are very high.

Get over the pin and handshake thing and use this anniversary to recognize the incredible luck that the aviation gods have bestowed on you.

Sorry to be so harsh - reality can be tough.

PIPE

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back